1457 - ITD - Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Analyst - Senior
This position is in the Information Technology Department.
Salary Grade: 62
The Pima County Information Technology Department is seeking a highly motivated, thorough and disciplined individual with strong GIS knowledge and skills for a Senior GIS Analyst for the County Classified Title of "ITD Geographic Information Systems Analyst - Senior". This position may be involved in a wide variety of GIS projects and data/application development work, using Esri data models and tools such as Enterprise Geodatabases, the ArcGIS Enterprise suite, internal and external web-based tools and applications, and mobile applications and data workflow management tools. Projects may include the following areas of focus: Enterprise geospatial data management and dissemination, such as traditional vector GIS layers, raster data, imagery, basemaps, web mapping systems, and reporting tools, such as dashboards; the implementation, development, and management of the GIS infrastructure and data, including server application installation, configuration, and management, along with data loading, configuration, and management; process automation using scripting tools and scheduled data processing jobs, including the migration of legacy code to modern languages such as Python and/or FME; integrating GIS data with enterprise business systems, such as Accela, Maximo, Infor, and AMS Advantage; project management, and project staff management.
(Work assignments may vary depending on the department's needs and will be communicated to the applicant or incumbent by the supervisor.)
Designs, develops, tests, deploys and maintains automated geo-processes;
Administers, configures and trouble-shoots backend Enterprise GIS hardware and software to ensure functionality and performance meets business needs;
Identifies and compiles database information to support the creation of maps and applications in response to requests;
Directs development and implementation of quality control procedures for GIS processes, procedures, services and products;
Evaluates and makes recommendations to management for acquisition of GIS software, hardware and peripheral equipment;
Performs complex geospatial data building, modeling and analysis using advanced spatial data manipulation or cartographic procedures;
Designs and coordinates the integration of GIS spatial databases with non-spatial enterprise business databases;
Provides technical support to users or customers regarding the maintenance, development, or operation of GIS databases, applications and data collection devices;
Designs or prepares cartographic representations of GIS data using GIS applications, including web based mapping systems;
Interprets aerial or ortho imagery for mapping purposes;
Enters data into GIS databases using techniques such as coordinate geometry, keyboard entry of tabular data, manual digitizing of maps, scanning or automatic conversion to features, or by converting other digital data;
Reviews existing or incoming data for currency, accuracy, usefulness, quality, or completeness of documentation;
Revises existing maps and reports making all necessary corrections and adjustments;
Compiles GIS data required for map preparation including imagery, survey notes, records, reports, and original maps;
Documents GIS procedures, metadata, and operating standards;
Leads and trains GIS technicians, GIS Analysts or related staff in the operation of GIS analytical procedures;
Supervises and evaluates assigned GIS staff, to include making recommendations on hiring, termination and other related personnel activities.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- GIS principles, techniques, applications and industry standards as applied to spatial data, imagery, metadata, programming and analysis;
- GIS data processing, quality-control, delivery and display;
- GIS technology directions and trends in software, hardware, web services;
- current programming languages for GIS process automation and application development;
- relational GIS database design and application implementation in an Enterprise distributed processing environment;
- remote sensing data interpretation, e.g. aerial imagery, LiDAR, etc;
- principles and practices of project planning, management, and resource allocation;
- supervising, training, and communication techniques;
- best practices for securing GIS data in a distributed environment.
- enterprise GIS database development, management and maintenance;
- using programming languages for GIS process automation and application development;
- enterprise application design, implementation, security and maintenance;
- enterprise GIS server administration, configuration, security measures and trouble-shooting;
- identifying customer needs and developing solutions to meet their needs;
- managing large-scale GIS projects including needs assessment, data creation/migration, process re-engineering, quality control, maintenance, and dissemination;
- geospatial data analysis and advanced cartographic design using a variety of GIS applications including desktop and web-based tools;
- supervising professional and technical staff;
- customer support and problem resolution in the use of GIS data and applications;
- working as a member or lead of a team by delivering to deadlines;
- time management while handling multiple projects.
(Additional relevant work experience and/or education from an accredited college, university or technical school may be substituted.)
Qualifying education and experience must be clearly documented in the "Education" and Work Experience" sections of the application. Do not substitute a resume for your application or write "see resume" on your application.
Preferred Qualifications: (Be specific in describing your experience in your application. Ensure the descriptions provided illustrate your competencies, specifically addressing the required and preferred qualifications.):
- Experience designing and implementing ArcGIS Geodatabases at an enterprise/multi-user level within ArcGIS Enterprise, including creation and configuration, schema design, data loading, Extract/Transform/Load (ETL) processing, web service publishing, and the migration of legacy GIS data to a Geodatabase.
- Experience developing, implementing, and managing GIS applications that provide capabilities, such as web mapping/editing, interactive views/reports, mobile data collection/management/reporting, application integration across platforms, along with potential backend infrastructure support. Experience with the following Esri products a plus:
- ArcGIS Server
- ArcGIS Online
- Portal for ArcGIS
- ArcGIS Enterprise Sites
- Open Data Portal
- ArcGIS Hub
- Parcel Fabric
- Roads and Highways
- Utility Network
- Web App Builder
- ArcGIS Dashboards
- Survey 123
- Navigator for ArcGIS
- Insights for ArcGIS
- ArcGIS Business/Community Analyst or others as applicable
- Experience programming and managing data processing scripts, including the migration of legacy programming code to modern languages, enterprise implementation, management of scheduled tasks, and troubleshooting. Experience with the following a plus:
- Jupyter Notebooks
- Model Builder
- .NET, or others as applicable
- Experience integrating GIS data with enterprise business systems, such as Accela, Maximo, Infor, AMS Advantage, and OnBase enterprise document management system, or other document or asset management systems.
- Experience in project management and project staff management. Prior use of Microsoft TFS, Jira or other requirements and code repositories a plus.
Pima County Human Resources Department reserves the right to admit to the selection process only those candidates that meet the minimum/desired qualifications. All applications will be assessed based on an evaluation of the listed education and experience. Candidates meeting the minimum/desired qualifications may be further evaluated/score against any advertised Preferred Qualifications. The hiring authority will interview and select the successful candidates from a referral list provided by Human Resources. Additional assessments/testing may be required as part of the selection process. Supplemental Information
Licenses and Certificates: Some positions may require appropriate licenses or certifications at time of appointment or within a specified timeframe, e.g., Certified Business Analyst Professional (CBAP). Valid driver license is required at time of application. Valid AZ driver license is required at time of appointment. The successful applicant will be subject to a 39-month DOT Motor Vehicle Record review to determine applicants suitability to operate county vehicles in accordance with Pima County administrative procedures. Failure to obtain and maintain the required licenses and certifications shall be grounds for termination. Any offer of employment resulting from this recruitment is contingent upon Fleet Services review and approval of the candidates driving record.
Special Notice Items: The County requires pre-employment background checks. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include verification of work history, education and criminal conviction history. A prior criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify a candidate from employment with the County.
Physical/Sensory Requirements: Physical and sensory abilities will be determined by position.