2153 - Central Plant Systems Technician (Overnight Work)
This position is located in the Facilities Management Department and has scheduled shifts either Tuesday - Saturday or Sunday - Thursday from 12:00 am to 8:00 am.
OPEN UNTIL FILLED.
Salary Grade: 41
Operates, adjusts, services, and performs minor repairs and maintenance of automated heating, ventilating, air-conditioning (HVAC), and associated systems and equipment. Monitors and takes routine or emergency actions upon receipt of alarms, requests for services, or when supported systems instrumentation indicates problems.
(Work assignments may vary depending on the department's needs and will be communicated to the applicant or incumbent by the supervisor.)
Operates automated and computer-controlled heating, ventilating and air-conditioning (HVAC) control systems for County buildings or facilities, to include adjusting temperatures of individual work areas and performing seasonal changeovers of equipment, systems and their operating schedules;
Operates central plant heating, cooling and related auxiliary equipment and systems;
Installs, programs, maintains and repairs energy management control system (EMCS) controllers;
Performs and documents minor operator-level maintenance and repairs of central plant equipment and related systems;
Sets energy management operating limits and temperature parameters for computerized HVAC control system;
Notes and records meter, gauge, and indicator readings and adjusts equipment or system operations accordingly;
Samples, tests, records and adjusts water chemistry in plant equipment water systems;
Monitors fire alarm systems and reports fires/emergencies to the 911 emergency dispatch system, and shuts down HVAC and related equipment in affected areas and facilities;
Responds to and resolves inquiries and complaints about heating, cooling and ventilation in County buildings or facilities;
Monitors and acts upon problems relayed via the County complex maintenance intercommunications network, elevator telephones, equipment room overheat alarms, and similar systems;
Maintains equipment, system, facility and shift operations and maintenance logs.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- methods and practices of operating and maintaining a central plant;
- operation and maintenance of heating, ventilating and air-conditioning (HVAC), electrical systems and associated auxiliary equipment and systems;
- water treatment as applied to central plant activities, to include chemical testing and quantitative application of industrial chemicals;
- hazards and safety precautions associated with central plant operations;
- theory of operation of automated HVAC control systems.
- operating and maintaining central plant equipment and related systems;
- using tools, equipment and materials of the trade;
- reading and interpreting specifications, operating manuals and technical data;
- understanding and carrying-out written and oral instructions;
- responding to out-of-tolerance or emergency situations by adjusting equipment/systems, recalling/dispatching specialists, or reporting situations to emergency response dispatch functions and functional area managers;
- maintaining equipment, system and shift operations and maintenance logs;
- operating automated HVAC control systems.
(1) Four years of experience in the operation or maintenance of central plant heating, ventilating, and air-conditioning (HVAC) equipment and associated systems.
(2) An Associate's degree from an accredited college or technical school in air-conditioning technology and two years of experience in heating, ventilating, and air-conditioning (HVAC) central plant operations.
(3) Two years of experience with Pima County performing the work of a Central Plant Operator.
Qualifying education and experience must be clearly documented in the "Education" and Work Experience" sections of the application. Do not substitute a resume for your application or write "see resume" on your application.
Preferred Qualifications: (Be specific in describing your experience in your application. Ensure the descriptions provided illustrate your competencies, specifically addressing the required and preferred qualifications.):
- A minimum of one (1) year of experience in the operation or maintenance of central plant heating, ventilating, and air-conditioning equipment and associated systems.
- A minimum of one (1) year of experience monitoring the function and operation of building automation systems.
- Basic PC skills, including Outlook, Excel, Word, and the willingness to learn the Delta and Alerton control systems.
- Experience maintaining comprehensive records of work performed modifications to equipment or systems and related logs.
Pima County Human Resources Department reserves the right to admit to the selection process only those candidates that meet the minimum/desired qualifications. All applications will be assessed based on an evaluation of the listed education and experience. Candidates meeting the minimum/desired qualifications may be further evaluated/scored against any advertised Preferred Qualifications. The hiring authority will interview and select the successful candidates from a referral list provided by Human Resources. Additional assessments/testing may be required as part of the selection process.
Licenses and Certificates: Valid driver license is required at time of application. Valid AZ driver license is required at time of appointment. The successful applicant will be subject to a 39-month DOT Motor Vehicle Record review to determine applicants suitability to operate county vehicles in accordance with Pima County administrative procedures. Failure to obtain and maintain the required licenses and certifications shall be grounds for termination. Any offer of employment resulting from this recruitment is contingent upon Fleet Services review and approval of the candidates driving record.
Special Notice Items: The County requires pre-employment background checks. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include verification of work history, education, and criminal conviction history. A prior criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify a candidate from employment with the County. Post offer physical required and ability to obtain a jail pass.
Physical/Sensory Requirements: Physical and sensory abilities will be determined by position. All new hires (and promoted employees) must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment, within 30 days of hire. If you are unable to become fully vaccinated due to a medical disability or religious observance/practice, you must request an accommodation - accommodation forms are located online. For new hires (and promoted employees) hired after October 1, 2021, the applicant must have a full set of COVID-19 vaccines, by the effective date of hire.