4745 - IT - Applications Analyst
This position, with on-call shifts, is in the Information Technology Department.
Salary Grade: 63
Pima County Information Technology Department is seeking a candidate to provide application administration for systems used by the Pima County Sheriff's Department (PCSD). The successful candidate will be skilled at all aspects of managing large complex departmental applications (e.g. Spillman, including technical, analytical, communication and social expertise). Team oriented with a strong work ethic and ability to find what needs to be done with high level guidance (a go-getter). CGIS certification is required prior to access on any PCSD systems. In applying for this position, pay particular attention to the description that follows and to the Preferred Qualifications at the end of this posting, addressing each qualification in your application.
(Work assignments may vary depending on the department's needs and will be communicated to the applicant or incumbent by the supervisor.)
Customer Segment (includes Elected Officials) Development, Maintenance and Support
Manages small to medium size system implementation efforts;
Evaluates alternative delivery mechanisms to satisfy customer requests and is involved in all technical aspects related to systems, system design and on-going support services;
Develops individual and/or group goals and is responsible execution of goals in accordance with target dates and budgets;
Assists in defining the applications systems environment policies, procedures and practices;
Communicates information to and between the customer segment user community and other IT resources to provide and improve overall quality of customer service;
Analyzes, designs, programs, implements and trains end users on automation solutions;
Provides independent technical and analytical service on specific, complex application systems involving the design, development, construction and on-going support of these systems, processes or methods;
Provides on-going support to include resolution of user problems within assigned area of responsibility and leads troubleshooting and resolution of complex application support issues.
Serves as a project leader for teams performing business systems related analysis, research, implementation, testing and maintenance;
Coordinates and manages the business and systems design process based on detailed analysis;
Involvement in technical aspects related to systems and their on-going support services, and is assigned independent project responsibility;
Defines projects to include recommended project team membership, project phases, project plan and justifies projects based on capital/operating expense and benefit forecasts for approval by management;
Develops documentation for business requirements, system requirements, programs, test plans, validation protocols, user training and implementation plans and supporting systems documentation;
Coordinates the implementation of business applications by defining implementation tasks and monitoring progress by project team members;
Establishes policies for program migration, database changes and menu changes;
Programs and configures new, or enhancements to, automation solutions;
Coordinates and executes customer segment application environment deployments and associated decommissioning;
Contributes to the development of customer segment information technology business plans;
Contributes to defining and justifying operating and capital budgets.
Analyzes, evaluates and coordinates resolution and implementation of specific customer segment applications within the IT support environment;
Leads development of critical customer segment applications and/or IT support components to enhance service delivery and support to customer base;
Leads, plans, coordinates, and implements key components of the IT customer segment applications business plan;
Assists, reviews and approves other technology personnel plans and specifications, and analyzes, designs and programs their implementation;
May supervise and evaluate performance of assigned staff.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- programming languages and associated web application development tools applicable to area of assignment;
- end user office, programming and email tools;
- software development and applications programming applicable to area of assignment;
- principles and techniques of systems analysis and design;
- development and maintenance of data communications, security and privacy measures;
- principles of database design;
- industry security standards and procedures and IT best practices for application development;
- IT infrastructure library for the incident, problem and configuration management environment;
- effective teamwork behaviors;
- vendor license, maintenance and service agreements;
- project management methodologies and technologies;
- principles and techniques of effective supervision.
- project planning, management and control;
- creating moderately complex documents and spreadsheets containing tables and graphs, mail merging documents and applying page setup functions (margins, page numbers, footers, headers);
- creating an index and/or table of contents, using search and replace, printing labels and envelopes;
- sorting, finding and filtering messages, setting rules, sharing contact information, creating custom forms, working with permissions and working with journals;
- organizing and leading work teams;
- organizing team workloads, being proactive and managing a wide variety of customer requests/projects simultaneously;
- written, verbal, interpersonal and management presentation communications;
- operating as an effective member of a team;
- writing procedures and work instructions;
- employing quality skill sets and diagnostic tools;
- understanding client applications and business requirements and concepts;
- communicating with internal and external customers/vendors;
- employing diagnostic, analytical and conceptual skills with detailed orientation;
- gathering requirements, analyzing business problems, automating business processes and implementing application solutions.
(1) A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college, university or technical trade school with a major in computer science, computer engineering, management information systems (MIS), or a closely related field as determined by the appointing authority at the time of recruitment, and four years of work experience in software development and maintenance.
(2) An Associate's degree from an accredited college, university or technical trade school in computer science, computer engineering, management information systems (MIS), or a closely related field as determined by the appointing authority at the time of recruitment, and six years work experience in IT software development and maintenance.
(Additional relevant work experience and/or education from an accredited college, university or technical trade school may be substituted.)
Qualifying education and experience must be clearly documented in the "Education" and Work Experience" sections of the application. Do not substitute a resume for your application or write "see resume" on your application.
Preferred Qualifications: (Be specific in describing your experience in your application. Ensure the descriptions provided illustrate your competencies, specifically addressing the required and preferred qualifications.):
- Experience in systems administration of an enterprise application (the installation and maintenance of its servers, applications, and any related processes or integrations).
- Experience in database administration of an enterprise application (ideally in Microsoft SQL Server).
- Experience in analytics and reports development based on data in enterprise applications (ideally hosted in Microsoft SQL Server).
- Experience in a 24/7, large law enforcement or other public safety agency.
- Excellent teamwork, documentation and communication skills, eager to learn and ability to share what youve learned.
Pima County Human Resources Department reserves the right to admit to the selection process only those candidates that meet the minimum/desired qualifications. All applications will be assessed based on an evaluation of the listed education and experience. Candidates meeting the minimum/desired qualifications may be further evaluated/score against any advertised Preferred Qualifications. The hiring authority will interview and select the successful candidates from a referral list provided by Human Resources. Additional assessments/testing may be required as part of the selection process. Supplemental Information
Licenses and Certificates: Some positions may require appropriate licenses or certifications at time of appointment or within a specified timeframe, e.g., Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist (MCTS). Valid driver license is required at time of application. Valid AZ driver license is required at time of appointment. The successful applicant will be subject to a 39-month DOT Motor Vehicle Record review to determine applicants suitability to operate county vehicles in accordance with Pima County administrative procedures. Failure to obtain and maintain the required licenses and certifications shall be grounds for termination. Any offer of employment resulting from this recruitment is contingent upon Fleet Services review and approval of the candidates driving record.
Special Notice Items: The County requires pre-employment background checks. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include verification of work history, education and criminal conviction history. A prior criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify a candidate from employment with the County.
Physical/Sensory Requirements: Some positions require lifting equipment, climbing, working on towers, elevated or below grade platforms. All positions require the ability to identify industry standard color-coding of electrical wiring and components. Physical and sensory abilities will be determined by position.