7020 - Special Staff Assistant - Unclassified (Health Equity Program)
This position is in the Community Outreach Prevention Education Division, in the Equity section within the Health Department. OPEN UNTIL FILLED.
Salary Grade: U1
Assists in management activities and is distinguished from Special Staff Assistant-Senior by its organizational placement and its somewhat limited freedom and authority to act. This is appointed, unclassified and exempt from the Pima County Merit System Rules.
(Work assignments may vary depending on the department's needs and will be communicated to the applicant or incumbent by the supervisor)
Assists in the planning and management of operational projects;
Designs and implements special managerial studies;
Researches, plans, develops and writes reports concerning managerial or supervisory issues;
Assists in the development of policy statements concerning managerial and supervisory practices, issues and procedures;
Acts as the department or division representative on various county committees, boards and at various meetings;
Aides in the support of County and departmental goals and functions;
Participates in the development and monitoring of special projects;
Designs and conducts special projects of a politically sensitive nature on behalf of managerial or executive staff;
Plans, organizes, schedules and conducts various departmental meetings;
Establishes and maintains liaison with various outside agencies, groups and concerns;
Conducts surveys to gather information for studies or research;
Responds to public inquiries, resolving potential problems and addressing pertinent issues;
May supervise and train staff.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- public sector organization and functions;
- public administration principles and practices;
- basic managerial techniques and practices;
- study and research methodology.
- representing the department or division;
- communicating effectively, both orally and in writing;
- assisting in management and supervision;
- reviewing functional and operational procedures.
A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a major in business or public administration, management or a related field as defined by the appointing authority and two years of professional administrative or management experience.
(Additional relevant experience/education from an accredited college or university as defined by the appointing authority at the time of recruitment may substitute for a portion of the aforementioned education/experience.)
Qualifying education and experience must be clearly documented in the "Education" and Work Experience" sections of the application. Do not substitute a resume for your application or write "see resume" on your application.
Preferred Qualifications: (Be specific in describing your experience in your application. Ensure the descriptions provided illustrate your competencies, specifically addressing the required and preferred qualifications.):
- A Bachelors Degree in Public Health or related field.
- Demonstrated knowledge/experience designing, implementing and monitoring/evaluating special projects assigned by leadership/executive staff.
- At least one (1) year of experience working with diverse groups that have been historically underserved and underrepresented.
- At least one (1) year of experience assisting with the measuring and monitoring program evaluation activities and working in multi-disciplinary, multi-cultural and multi-sectoral partnerships.
- At least one (1) year of experience in community health, equity, diversity and inclusion with a focus on establishing community partnerships.
- At least one (1) year of experience with project management.
Pima County Human Resources Department reserves the right to admit to the selection process only those candidates that meet the minimum/desired qualifications. All applications will be assessed based on an evaluation of the listed education and experience. Candidates meeting the minimum/desired qualifications may be further evaluated/scored against any advertised Preferred Qualifications. Additional assessments/testing may be required as part of the selection process.
Licenses and Certificates: Valid AZ driver's license and access to a registered/insured vehicle for business travel is required (business mileage reimbursed) at time of appointment. The successful applicant will be subject to a 39-month DOT Motor Vehicle Record review.
Special Notice Items: The County requires pre-employment background checks. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include verification of work history, education and criminal conviction history. A prior criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify a candidate from employment with the County. A physical and medical clearance may be required.