Health Insurance, Life Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Disability Insurance, 401K / Retirement Plan, Paid Vacation, Paid Holidays, Paid Personal Time
The Accountant is responsible for professional accounting work performing standard accounting tasks in an established financial system. The Accountant ensures that financial reports are prepared accurately and promptly. The work involves the maintenance of complex accounting records and preparation of a wide range of reports and statements, including payroll, fringe benefits, monthly board reports, utility analyses, and year-end projections.
Roles and Responsibilities
The following information is intended to describe the overall nature and scope of the work being performed in relation to the position. This is not a comprehensive listing of all responsibilities or tasks; other work may be assigned when deemed appropriate:
- Prepares monthly, year-end projections of disbursements and resulting balances for salary, social security, retirement, and group life and health insurance accounts; determines variances by conferring with personnel staff and account managers.
- Maintains financial records, submits reimbursement requests to the State, and projects carry-over balances for programs.
- Uses financial software to prepare monthly statements, which include projections for expenditure accounts; presents and discusses the status of accounts with account managers.
- Maintains fixed asset records and reconciles financial records to actual assets on hand.
- Reconciles and posts bi-weekly payroll data to the financial system.
- Assists with preparing projections of expenditures.
- Provides counsel to LCPS staff on base budgets and fiscal areas.
Below are the qualifications for this position:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university in accounting, finance or related field required
- Previous exposure to the public-school system sector with knowledge of school financing and accounting procedures preferred
- Knowledge of GAAP (generally accepted accounting principles) and the practical application
- Two years of experience with payroll/Human Resources Management Systems (HRMS)/Oracle preferred
- Ability to prepare complex accounting reports; analyze and evaluate accounting concerns; to produce data and recommend improved procedures
- Advanced knowledge with Excel with preferred
- Knowledge of VRS preferred
- Ability to meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced work environment
The following provides a brief description of physical requirements for this position:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly talking, expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. The employee must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately, loudly, or quickly. The employee must possess normal cognitive abilities including the ability to learn, recall and apply certain practices and policies. Frequently sitting and/or remaining in a stationary position for long periods of time. Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.
Employees who perform the responsibilities of the above position have been identified as having the potential to telework. Telework is defined as completing one's duties and responsibilities at a site other than one's assigned duty location. In order to be eligible for telework privileges, an employee must have demonstrated consistent, positive performance and have the support and approval of their direct supervisor. In addition, these employees must have reliable high-speed internet and a designated workspace that allows them privacy while completing sensitive and confidential work. Employees who are non-exempt and are teleworking will work their required scheduled hours and gain approval from their supervisor if they work more than 8 hours a day or more than 40 hours in a workweek. Teleworking privileges can be amended, changed, or revoked based upon the performance of the employee, as well as the needs of Loudoun County Public Schools.
FLSA status: Exempt
Months/Days/Hours: 12 months, 248 days, 8 hours
Reports to: Supervisor, Payroll
Telework Eligible: Partial
Salary Level: Universal 11
Salary Scale: lcps.org/compensation
Salary Range: $60,359 to $77,897 annual