Definition: Under general supervision from senior management, manages the day-to-day operations of the accounting staff of Salt River Devco, a division of the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community (SRPMIC). Ensures all work in the functional area is carried out in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles for governmental accounting that meets the objectives of Salt River Devco. This job class is treated as FLSA Exempt.
Essential Functions: Essential functions may vary among positions and may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics. This list of tasks is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not intended to be a comprehensive listing of tasks performed by all positions in this classification.
1.Manages the day-to-day activities of Salt River Devco’s accounting staff.
2.Oversees the Senior Accountant and Accounts Payable Clerk.
- · Coordinates accounting staff workflow.
- · Assists with the evaluation of the performance of the assigned staff.
- · Recommends standard procedures to guide accounting staff with assigned responsibilities and responds to questions regarding assignments.
- · Identifies and implements productivity and process improvements for the accounting staff.
3.Mentors the accounting staff so they attain the technical and customer service skills and experience necessary to perform independently and attain further career progression goals.
4.Provides senior technical leadership to the accounting staff.
- · Evaluates and improves the effectiveness of the division utilizing industry benchmarks.
- · Implements best business practices for the accounting staff and tailors to accommodate Salt River Devco’s needs.
- · Communicates the enterprise’s goals and objectives to employees.
- · Evaluates, recommends and implements new General Ledger processes and policies as needed.
- · Establishes performance standards for the accounting staff, thereby providing an enterprise-wide set of guidance standards and development processes.
5.Ensures proper and timely recording of financial transactions in the general ledger in accordance with General Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) and Salt River Devco policy.
- · Leads accounting staff in the month-end close activities including the review and approval of standard month-end and year-end journal entries.
- · Assumes a lead role in staff related work activities involving general ledger and accounting practices.
- · Researches and resolves questionable General Ledger entries (includes standard monthly data and ad hoc requests).
- · Pursues business issues impacting the General Ledger in a proactive, independent manner.
- · Prepares policies and procedures for General Ledger practices ensuring compliance with financial reporting requirements and other regulations.
- · Provides training for systems, procedures and functions for accounting staff members.
6.Reviews monthly account reconciliations utilizing the Salt River Devco standard format and reports discrepancies to senior management for proper resolution of account.
- · Reviews account reconciliations monthly.
- · Validates the General Ledger and sub ledgers are reconciled with resolution to outstanding items monthly.
- · Researches and resolves outstanding reconciling items in a timely manner.
7.Reviews and approves journal entry adjustments required to correct balances of General Ledger accounts.
- · Reviews and receives approval for journal entries with senior management.
- · Ensures requisite supporting and backup documentation is complete and straightforward.
8. Serves as accounting point of contact for external managers (property management, hotel management and billboard management).
- · Reviews monthly transactions and oversees budget-to-actual reporting and comparisons.
9.Prepares monthly financial statements and ad hoc reports.
10.Performs variance analyses of balance sheet and profit and loss transactions reporting any discrepancies to senior management for proper resolution, if needed.
11.Coordinates and prepares interim and year-end audit schedules.
- · Acts as a key accounting contact for auditors in absence of senior management.
- · Prepares for internal and external audits performed throughout the year as well as year-end, including monitoring and reviewing of accounts and reporting of fixed assets.
12.Researches and prepares technical accounting solutions for new and existing complex business issues.
- · Works directly with the Senior Accountant and Accounts Payable Clerk to recommend system enhancements.
- · Reviews, develops, and implements system and procedural financial control enhancements.
13.Consistently supports compliance with Salt River Devco Policies and Procedures by maintaining the privacy and confidentiality of information, protecting the assets of the organization, acting with ethics and integrity, reporting non-compliance, and adhering to applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations, accreditation and licenser requirements (if applicable).
14.Performs other job-related duties as assigned by senior management.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Other Characteristics:
- Knowledge of the culture, customs, traditions, history and government of the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community.
- Knowledge of general accounting, auditing, and budgeting principles and practices.
- Knowledge of principles of effective supervision.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting practices (GAAP) for governments (GASB-“fund accounting”); knowledge of Accounting for Leases (GASB 87) preferred.
- Knowledge of commercial real estate accounting (e.g., job cost, CAM reconciliations, tenant accounts receivable, etc.).
- Skill establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with Regulatory Agencies, Tribal Officials, Community Members, SRPMIC department directors and co-workers and the public.
- Skill reviewing and evaluating a variety of financial and budgetary records.
- Skill understanding and applying complex rules, regulations, procedures and guidelines.
- Skill preparing a variety of computerized financial and budgetary records and reports.
- Skill in assigning, coordinating, scheduling and reviewing the work of direct reports.
- Skill supervising and evaluating employees.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to understand and follow complex verbal and written instruction.
- Ability to effectively and accurately maintain a general ledger system.
- Ability to prepare and maintain accurate and timely records of financial transactions.
- Ability with MS Excel proficiency and ability to perform tasks including, but not limited to, sorting, summing, referencing other worksheets or workbooks in a formula and formatting functions.
- Ability to use Outlook (or equivalent email/calendar software). Must be proficient in use of email system, managing of calendar and scheduling appointments.
- Ability to operate a variety of standard office equipment including adding machines, calculators, typewriters, photocopiers and FAX machines.
- Ability to lift up to 25lbs (stored audit/research documents)
Education & Experience: A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or closely related field, AND six (6) years of full-time professional level accounting work required.
- Three (3) years’ experience with progressive levels of general accounting work required.
- Three (3) years of supervisory experience required.
- CPA and/or MBA preferred.
·Equivalency: Any equivalent combination of experience and education that will allow the applicant to satisfactorily perform the duties of the job may be considered when filling the position.
·Special Requirements: May be required to work beyond normal work hours including nights, weekends, and holidays. Employment is at-will.