St. Dominic Hospital
In Patient Unit: Instructs patients on the Room Service meal ordering system. Assists patients and/or family members in placing meal orders. Assesses patients ability to utilize the Room Service system and assigns appropriate protocol. Reliably delivers the correct diet compliant menus to each patient. To conform to regulatory standards, uses two patient identifiers to positively I.D. each patient before a meal is served. This person acts as a liaison between the patient, Nutritional Services, nursing, and any other department involved, creating a positive service culture. The primary responsibility of this position is direct one-on-one patient service.
In Call Center: This position has direct phone interaction with patients, patient families, and guests. Patient meal orders are called into the Room Service call center for each meal. The Call Center Representative will obtain food item requests from the patient and transpose the meal order into the Computrition System. This position will assist patients in their food choices, advice and help make alternative selections for diet compliance. Responsibilities will also include collecting information and verification of each patient diet order requested by the physician.
As Expeditor: Will include checking each patient meal order for accuracy and ensuring the timely dispatch of all food carts to each nursing unit adhering to strict time guidelines. This person will have direct and open communication with the Cooks and all members in Nutritional Services. Further duties will include replenishing all supplies on the tray line, keeping equipment clean and orderly, mentoring and training coworkers and new employees. This position will require the ability to use independent judgement, time management, strong communication, and multi-tasking skills and be able to make decisions in a fast-paced environment.
Minimum Education: A high school degree or equivalent required.
Minimum Work Experience: Previous hospitality, customer service experience or prior experience in a hospital call center setting. Knowledge of Food Service with experience in a fast-paced working kitchen is required.
Required Skills: Organizational skills and time management skills are absolutely required. Must possess good verbal communication skills, have clear communication and friendly tone when answering the telephone. Able to follow oral and written instructions. Good time management and multi-tasking skills are required.
- Consistently serves each patient in a professional and efficient manner utilizing the AIDET process.
- Instructs each patient and/or family member on the Room Service meal system.
- Inventories, records, and delivers floor stock supplies /Tube feeding on designated nursing units.
- Has knowledge of all diet restrictions and menus utilized.
- Delivers between meal nourishments, when needed, directly to each patient.
- Must participate as a team member by anticipating patient/team member needs and being proactive to the concern.
- Demonstrates computer literacy.
- Maintains performance, patient and employee satisfaction and financial standards as outlined in the performance evaluation.
- Must adhere to all St. Dominics Nutritional Services Department policies and procedures.
- Responsible for active participation in performance improvement standards.
- Coordinates communication center processes with Room Service Tray line and Transporters.
- Obtains meal orders from patient/guests via the telephone, enters into Computrition and verifies that meal orders meet diet requirements.
- Processes diet requisitions quickly and efficiently.
- All other duties as assigned.
Frequent contact with patients, families and other staff members face-to-face and by telephone. Works both independently and as part of a team. Possible dealings with upset or unpleasant patients or family members. Responsible for proper food handling practice to ensure safe food is served to patients. Must clearly and coherently communicate with staff and patients of all ages.
Physical presence onsite is essential. Hearing and vision must be normal or corrected to within normal range.