Town of Marana
Assistant Building Official
Marana is the fastest growing community in Southern Arizona and the 2nd largest municipality in Pima County. The Town was recently recognized as one of the ten most successful cities in Arizona. Marana lies approximately 20 minutes northwest of downtown Tucson and 75 minutes southeast of Phoenix. The Town makes its decisions based on a Strategic Plan that has five focus areas: Commerce, Community, Heritage, Innovation and Recreation.
Marana's standards are high. We are an organization of excellence and have developed four Cultural Value Statements that provide the guidelines for how we work together. Our Cultural Values are: Dedicated Service, Respect, Teamwork and Engaged Innovation.
The Town of Marana is seeking a creative, collaborative and visionary professional to serve as the Assistant Building Official.
This is a challenging and rewarding career opportunity for a management professional with energy, vision and commitment. You will play a vital role in working with Town leadership to continue to build Marana and the Building Safety Division as a premier service driven organization that serves the community. The Assistant Building Official manages the daily operations of the functional areas of inspections and plans examining within the Building Safety Division of Development Services.
Hiring Range: $61,746 - $77,182
- Provides leadership and development to assigned staff; establishes team goals and objectives of the functional area(s); participates in the recruitment process, evaluates work performance, ensures policy and procedure compliance, and provides guidance in employee relations matters.
- Directs, oversees and performs complex and highly technical review of construction plans and inspection activities to ensure compliance with application building codes, related ordinances, laws and national standards.
- Manages the daily operation, safety and quality standards of the functional areas.
- Establishes operating procedures and standards; ensures effective use of resources labor, equipment and inventory; workload assignment and project management activities.
- Interprets adopted technical codes, maintains awareness of code trends and assists with technical building code issues.
- Performs inspections and plans examining duties as applicable.
- Performs Building Official duties in the absence of the Chief Building Official.
- Monitors program/project level budget and expenditures; provides budgetary input including assisting in the preparation of the annual budget process.
- Reviews and approves Certificate of Occupancy.
- Associate's degree in a related field
- Over three years experience as a building safety professional
- Over three years supervisory experience
- An equivalent combination of education and relevant experience that provides the desired knowledge, skills & abilities to successfully perform essential functions maybe considered.
- Valid Arizona Driver License
- Commercial Building Inspector
- Residential Building Inspector
- Building Plans Examiner
- "OR" Building Official Certification**
- Ability to pass both the Town of Marana background check and a motor vehicle records check
If you meet the minimum requirements, submit a completed Town of Marana application which can be supplemented with a resume and cover letter. Candidates are responsible for verifying receipt of materials. Applications may be submitted by applying online at www.maranaaz.gov and following the employment link. All status updates will be sent via email through the applicant tracking system.
Job posting will remain open until a sufficient number of applicants have met the minimum requirements and have been scheduled for interviews. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
TOWN OF MARANA CONTACT INFORMATION
11555 West Civic Center Drive
Marana, AZ 85653
ph (520) 382-1900 / fx (520) 382-3500
Human Resource Staff Contact
Loren Churchman /520.382.1934/ firstname.lastname@example.org
For technical issues with the NEOGOV site, please contact Customer Support at 1-855-524-5627.
The Town of Marana is an equal opportunity employer. If you require a reasonable accommodation at any stage of the application/exam process due to a disability, please contact the Human Resources Department prior to any deadlines related to this recruitment process. Please contact the Human Resources Department if you would like this publication in an alternative format