Fontana Unified School District
ATHLETIC TRAINER - Bulletin #246-21
Under direction, administer first aid and limited physical therapy. Maintain athletic equipment rooms and perform related duties as required.
Incumbent must work cooperatively with coaches, P.E. instructors and athletes. This position performs a variety of responsible medical and technical duties related to the athletic and physical education programs. Successful performance requires the incumbent to establish leadership and rapport to elicit cooperation from students to maintain order, safety and security in training room.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS)
Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
1. Administer first aid during physical education periods, home and away sports games, matches or related athletic events.
2. Provide limited physical therapy such as whirlpool, ultra-sound, massage, hydroculator, ice and heat compacts.
3. Wrap, strap, bandage and dress injuries.
4. Arrange for transport of injured athletes and students to hospital.
5. Assist physician in treating major injuries and provide services as directed.
6. Maintain training room equipment and supplies, first aid kits, tables, machines.
7. Mark, store and issue athletic gear and equipment.
8. Repair, clean, inventory and store athletic equipment throughout the sport seasons.
9. Assist in ordering athletic equipment.
10. Distribute forms and reports.
11. Maintain simple records.
12. Wash and dry training room laundry.
13. Observe and maintain safety and orderly student conduct in the training room as needed.
14. May attend to sick or injured students when the school nurse is not available.
15. Perform related duties consistent with the scope and intent of the position.
· Equipment, materials and supplies used in school or district related athletic events.
· First aid procedures and limitations placed on non-physicians.
· Physical therapy techniques, taping, bandaging, hydrotherapy and similar treatments.
· Physical fitness, hygiene and safety procedures related to athletic programs.
· Storage and inventory methods.
· Administer advanced first aid and physical therapy.
· Develop and maintain cooperative relationships with those contacted during the course of work.
· Understand and carry out written and oral directions.
· Repair athletic equipment.
· Considerable walking and standing
· Some exposure to weather elements
· May be required to work evenings or weekends on occasion
· Reading printed matter and computer screens
· Near and far visual acuity, depth perception, color vision, field of vision
· Bend, twist, stoop, kneel and reach overhead
· Sitting for extended periods
· Fine manual dexterity
· Talking, hearing and understanding speech at a reasonable volume
· Ability to lift, carry, push and/or pull up to 125 pounds
Education and Experience:
· Two (2) years of responsible and verifiable experience (paid or unpaid) as an athletic trainer, physical therapist, paramedic, licensed vocational nurse or related occupation.
· Four (4) years of equivalent experience as an aide or assistant to the positions above.
· Possession of a high school diploma or equivalent.
· Completion of two (2) years of higher education study (48 semester units or 72 quarter units) in a related field.
· Annual, verifiable completion of 24 hours or 24 Continuing Education Units (CEU’s) in the field of athletic trainer or a related field as determined by the Athletic Director.
Licenses and Certificates Required:
· Possession of a valid and appropriate California Driver's License.
· Possession of valid First Aid and CPR Certificates.
To apply, please visit www.edjoin.org. Resumes may not be submitted in lieu of application and may not be submitted via email or U.S. Mail.
8 hours per day; 11 months per year (Actual work hours vary)