Arizona State University
Mesa, Arizona, United States
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR
Business Development Director
Arizona State University
Business Engagement Catalyst
The Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering (FSE) at Arizona State University is seeking a Director of the Business Engagement Catalyst (BEC). The Director will manage a portfolio of industry connections and is externally focused with a majority of time spent identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding potential industry partners.
The Business Engagement Catalyst serves as a focal point for industry engagement in the Fulton Schools of Engineering and will connect and facilitate corporate relationship opportunities with the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering and ASU’s related offices/activities: Research and Innovation, Workforce Development, Career Center, Student Attainment, Development and Philanthropy.
The Business Engagement Catalyst provides a wide variety of services to enhance the relationships between the business community and the Fulton Schools of Engineering. The BEC will identify and match company’s strategic needs with FSE’s strengths, listening to all stakeholders in helping to identify shared goals, and design projects and programs that create mutually beneficial outcomes utilizing the many vehicles of engagement including contracts, research, philanthropy and career connections to facilitate the opportunities.
These services provide an information bridge between industry, the entrepreneurial and governmental communities and ensure rapid, effective connections to people and resources at the Fulton Schools. It is expected that the Director of the BEC maintain connections across ASU and specifically with the Knowledge Enterprise, ASU Foundation and Career Services groups in articulating the value proposition of FSE and work with all parties to develop collaborations that support the mission of each partner.
Measures of successful performance include, but are not limited to the quantity and quality of industry engagement/outreach activities, industry research funding, industry philanthropy including scholarships, fellowships, and professorships, event sponsorship and events related to the business engagement strategy, and workshops/courses/programming. If annual metrics are met, participation in our performance bonus program is possible.
This position will work out of the Polytechnic campus.
$88,550 - $125,000 per year; DOE
Bachelor’s degree in a business related discipline or technology-related field AND eight (8) years of related experience specifically in business development, marketing, and program operations, including three (3) years of supervisory/management; OR, any equivalent combination of education and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
· Evidence of a master’s degree in business (development), engineering, sciences or related field; PhD in technical field preferred
· Experience working in a setting with changing priorities and an evolving list of stakeholders
· Experience with developing and implementing strategies for acquiring new leads, retaining and upgrading existing leads and relationships
· Experience in preparing and conducting solicitations via correspondence and in person including making cold calls
· Experience with a CRM; knowledge of Advance or Sale Force preferred
· Experience working with high-level administrators, executive and professionals
· Experience in preparing written gift proposals, fund agreements and collateral materials
· Experience in initiating new and innovative engagement and outreach programs
· Demonstrated ability to strategically link and articulate the institutional and programmatic initiatives with holistic funding opportunities
· Demonstrated working knowledge of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, ACCESS, or similar computer applications
· Management level experience, supervising, leading initiatives
· Experience developing, executing, analyzing research and business objectives
· Experience in cultivating and nuturing relationships with key strategic partners in technical sectors, e.g. semiconductor, computer science, manufacturing, aerospace, etc
· Experience in the cultivation and solicitation of high-end annual and major commitments from industry members within an academic setting
· Demonstrated knowledge of the principles and practices pertaining to the assigned department.
· Demonstrated knowledge of management and supervisory principles and practices.
· Demonstrated knowledge of budget management methods and techniques.
· Demonstrated knowledge of strategic planning principles and practices.
· Demonstrated knowledge of principles, concepts, and practices of organizational management.
· Skill in problem solving and decision-making. Skill in planning, analyzing, and coordinating activities and establishing priorities.
· Skill in effectively managing, supervising, and evaluating assigned staff.
· Skill in program design and development.
· Skill in budget preparation and forecasting.
· Skill in effective communication, both verbal and written.
· Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
· Activities are primarily performed in a regular, climate-controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, standing, walking
· Use office equipment including a desktop computer
· Lift up to 20 pounds
· Communicate to perform essential duties
The Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering is the largest producer of engineering and technical talent in the nation and seeks to deliver a world-class learning experience for our students and to advance research and innovation – all at scale. We value and emphasize inherently interdisciplinary endeavors that leverage the breadth and depth of expertise among our outstanding faculty, and have built a unique place for large-scale innovation characterized by foundational excellence and translational impacts. We are an engineering school on the rise at the most innovative university in the country and in the heart of the nation’s fifth largest metropolitan area. The scale of our faculty research interests and interdisciplinary mindset, combined with more than 48 graduate degree programs and 25 undergraduate degree programs, provide the foundation for knowledge generation and collaborative opportunities to advance new ideas.
The Fulton Schools of Engineering, located across ASU’s Tempe and Polytechnic campuses, is comprised of seven schools based on academic programs and research areas. Fulton Engineering has a nationally recognized faculty that conducts research, instructs and mentors students, provides service to engineering, computing and technology professions and creates lasting impacts across local and global communities.
The Fulton Schools of Engineering follows a framework of values designed to distinguish our practice and guide daily decisions in our academic, research, corporate engagement and entrepreneurial endeavors.
These values influence how we recognize, reward and communicate our achievements. At the Fulton Schools of Engineering, we:
· Cultivate excellence.
· Deliver innovation that matters.
· Encourage bold thinking.
· Foster a community of learning and collaboration.
· Build a foundation for all to be successful.
Working at ASU has outstanding benefits that include: health, dental and vision insurance plans; ASU/UA/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; life insurance and disability programs; sick leave and holidays; state and optional retirement plans; access to ASU recreation and cultural activities, and more. To estimate the value of your total compensation, please visit https://cfo.asu.edu/compensation-estimator.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU PD at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/az-resources.
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Fingerprint Check Statement
This position is considered safety/security sensitive and will include a fingerprint check. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the fingerprint check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
IMPORTANT NOTE: What is the meaning of “equivalent combination” in the minimum qualifications? It means one year of higher education or 24 credit hours, is equal to one year of experience. For example, a four year Bachelor’s degree is equal to four years of experience.
To view full description or to apply please click this link: https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGnewUI/Search/Home/Home?partnerid=25620&siteid=5494#jobDetails=4760795_5494