Arizona State University
Tempe, Arizona, United States
BUSINESS OPERATIONS SPECIALIST SR
Business Operations Specialist Sr
Arizona State University
School of Electrical, Computer and Energy Engineering
Join our dynamic team in the School of Electrical, Computer and Energy Engineering, we are seeking a highly motivated, outgoing, and dynamic Business Operations Specialist, Sr. to perform professional business operations and human resources duties in a high-paced and complex department that supports a diverse group of faculty, staff and students.
The successful candidate will maintain effective working relationships with faculty, staff, students, and vendors; handle confidential and sensitive information; use software applications as it applies to position; simultaneously manage multiple projects; work in an awesome team environment. You’ll have the opportunity to leverage your communicative, personnel, purchasing, travel, and multi-tasking skills to make a daily impact as you interact with a supportive staff team, award-winning faculty, administrators at all ASU levels, and external stakeholders. Join us!
What’s in it for you:
Arizona State University offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes valuable employee benefits to enhance the total compensation of its staff. This package includes: (Click here to explore options)
· Tuition Reduction Program for staff members, their spouses, and dependents, available on day one.
· Low-cost health, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits available on day one.
· Retirement program designed to promote long-term savings and provide income upon retirement.
· Paid time for volunteer and professional development.
· Wellness program for preventative health education and screenings.
· Disability and leave program for income protection.
· Employee assistance for free and confidential behavioral health services.
· Flexible work arrangements are available in an alternative or hybrid schedule but will be based on the work and the needs of the university and department operations and pending leadership approval.
$47,000 - $62,400 per year; DOE
· Process financial documents such as travel authorizations and travel expense reports; business related reimbursements, purchases, independent contractor payments, using the University’s various financial systems (Concur, Workday, SunRISE) and the Purchasing Card (PCard in accordance with established procurement and financial policies).
· Responsible for processing, and managing, Academic Professional, Post-Doctoral, and non-Tenured faculty hires and renewals. Utilizes Interfolio for recruitment. Works with hiring committee to manage and facilitate successful searches including applicant evaluation and using established guidelines and processes to completion of recruitment.
· Process graduate and student hourly hires; includes creating offer letters, entering hires, pay and FTE changes, terminations, as well as entering tuition waivers and scholarships, in accordance with established ASU payroll policy and procedure.
· Identifies overpayments/underpayments for appropriate action and processes and approves payroll corrections.
· Responsible for processing and management of academic and faculty visa applications and renewals, to include J-1, E-3, and H1B.
· Performing PCard and payroll reconciliations, verification in Workday and PeopleSoft systems, maintaining financial and personnel records, and establishes internal controls.
· May supervise, train, and evaluate assigned student workers.
· Recommends or participates in the development of new procedures or review existing procedures related to payroll operation, then assist in implementing development of documentation.
· Organizes and/or prepares departmental administrative and financial reports; analyzes, summarizes and interprets information; recommends or implements action to be taken.
Bachelor's degree in a field appropriate to the area of assignment AND five (5) years of related experience; OR, Nine (9) years of related experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
· Experience in human resources, including a demonstrated knowledge of HR/Payroll practices, regulations and standards, and payroll transactions.
· Experience with, or knowledge of, ASU financial and payroll systems (WorkDay, PeopleSoft, PaymentNet, BrassRing, and Microsoft Applications).
· Demonstrated knowledge of the Concur travel system, experience processing travel authorizations and expense reimbursements. Demonstrated experience entering and/or processing travel requests and expense reports.
· Experience in processing visas in higher education. Preferred experience with DS-2019, H1B, O-1, E-3.
· Experience hiring research employees and creating year-to-year offer letters and managing academic employee payroll.
· Experience providing HR, payroll, financial and operational support in a higher education environment.
· Demonstrated knowledge of ASU policies and procedures related to human resources, hiring, payroll, financial transactions and budgeting.
· Experience in purchasing and processing reimbursements.
· Evidence of effective communication.
· Activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding and manipulating a computer mouse (75%); frequently required to stand for varying lengths of time and walk moderate distances to perform work (25).
· Regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities which may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts.
· Ability to clearly communicate to perform essential functions.
· Calculator, telephone, computer (monitor, keyboard and mouse), printer, fax and copier. This position receives general review of objectives.
The School of Electrical, Computer and Energy Engineering (ECEE) brings together university faculty, students, government, and industry to develop collaborative relationships to provide solutions. Our degree programs in Electrical Engineering and related areas are widely recognized and offer opportunities for students to participate in research. Our research efforts are aligned with national and international efforts to address worldwide challenges in multiple technology areas.
The Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering is the largest producer of engineering and technical talent in the nation and seeks to deliver a world-class learning experience for our students and to advance research and innovation – all at scale.
We value and emphasize inherently interdisciplinary endeavors that leverage the breadth and depth of expertise among our outstanding faculty and have built a unique place for large-scale innovation characterized by foundational excellence and translational impacts. We are an engineering school on the rise at the most innovative university in the country and in the heart of the nation’s fifth largest metropolitan area. The scale of our faculty research interests and interdisciplinary mindset, combined with more than 48 graduate degree programs and 25 undergraduate degree programs, provide the foundation for knowledge generation and collaborative opportunities to advance new ideas.
The Fulton Schools of Engineering, located across ASU’s Tempe and Polytechnic campuses, is comprised of seven schools based on academic programs and research areas. Fulton Engineering has a nationally recognized faculty that conducts research, instructs and mentors students, provides service to engineering, computing and technology professions and creates lasting impacts across local and global communities.
The Fulton Schools of Engineering follows a framework of values designed to distinguish our practice and guide daily decisions in our academic, research, corporate engagement and entrepreneurial endeavors. These values influence how we recognize, reward and communicate our achievements.
At the Fulton Schools of Engineering, we:
· Cultivate excellence.
· Deliver innovation that matters.
· Encourage bold thinking.
· Foster a community of learning and collaboration.
· Build a foundation for all to be successful.
Working at ASU has outstanding benefits that include: health, dental and vision insurance plans; ASU/UA/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; life insurance and disability programs; sick leave and holidays; state and optional retirement plans; access to ASU recreation and cultural activities, and more. To estimate the value of your total compensation, please visit https://cfo.asu.edu/compensation-estimator.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU PD at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/az-resources.
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Fingerprint Check Statement
This position is considered safety/security sensitive and will include a fingerprint check. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the fingerprint check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
IMPORTANT NOTE: What is the meaning of “equivalent combination” in the minimum qualifications? It means one year of higher education or 24 credit hours, is equal to one year of experience. For example, a four year Bachelor’s degree is equal to four years of experience.
To view full description or to apply please click this link: https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGnewUI/Search/Home/Home?partnerid=25620&siteid=5494#jobDetails=4765408_5494