Southwest Behavioral & Health Services is currently seeking a Cook / Chef to join our Desert Cove residential facility in Central Phoenix! Daily meal preparation will consist of a breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snack with one portion being prepared for each client that will be on site at meal time. Provide meal preparation and delivery to multiple site locations while utilizing ADHS recommended food safety practices.
Schedule/Location: Schedule is Monday-Friday, 7a-3p. Location is off of 19th ave and Peoria.
Enjoy working in a non-conventional environment serving persons with disabilities in a small Residential Group Home setting. The Cook/Chef must be able to work independently and manage time, tasks, and resources as instructed by the Dietary Services Coordinator. Maintains professionalism and works as part of a team process. Provide meal preparation and delivery to multiple site locations while utilizing ADHS recommended food safety practices.
About the Position
Primary responsibility is to maintain on-site kitchen operations including but not limited to, inventory, proper storage, rotation, and waste management of food, small wares, and chemicals. Conduct weekly inventories of product to insure accurate ordering and avoid waste. Manages a reasonable food budget in the ordering process. Will be involved in any discussions related to meals, kitchen or menu planning. Daily meal preparation will consist of a breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snack with one portion being prepared for each client that will be on site at meal time. Weekend food will be prepared and packaged for reheating and service with clear instructions for staff. Works in conjunction with onsite staff and supervisors for best service delivery practices
Duties & Responsibilities
- Maintains the kitchen according to all applicable licensure standards and health regulations.
- Meal preparation is in accordance with a menu approved by a licensed dietitian. Menus will be updated weekly and posted in the dining room with the corresponding date of the month/day/year.
- Interface with staff on special dietary needs of clients. All Doctor recommended diets will be prepared using the Diet Manual provided in each kitchen.
- Food safety guidelines will be adhered to at all times including proper hand washing, temperature control, labeling, dating, and rotation, sanitation of equipment and utensils. Maintain cleanliness of kitchen equipment, utensils, floors, and coolers.
- All food storage areas will be kept clean and organized with all product six inches off of the floor and stored in sealed containers. Any potentially hazardous foods will be labeled with a discard date of no longer than seven days after opening or preparing.
- Appropriate chef uniform will consist of chef coat, black pants, and close toed non-slip shoes.
- Provides education and training to consumers on site as clinically indicated. Basic skills training for clients/members that is limited to scope of expertise, documents training in clinical record, bills accordingly.
- Prepares for all required inspections making sure all areas are up to code and maintained.
- Will maintain all required certifications and training requirements. - More specifically: CPR, First Aid, TB, and Non-Violent Crisis Intervention.
- Will also maintain any required certifications for licensure such as: Certified Food Service Manager or any other items that are presented.
- Requires High School diploma and two years of experience as an assistant facility cook, or associates degree or equivalent diploma in food preparation.
- Food Handlers card required.
- Servsafe Certification highly preferred.
- Must have own transportation and a valid Arizona drivers license.
- Must have fingerprint clearance issued by the Arizona Department of Public Safety or be eligible to receive within eight (8) weeks of hire
SB&H offers a competitive benefits package that includes 3.3 weeks of PTO your 1st year of employment, with increased accruals after 2, 5 and 10 years of service! Sick time and 10 paid holidays. Low-cost medical and vision insurance and 100% company paid dental, short term disability, long term disability and life insurance for employees. 40% company match and up to a 10% deferral into your SB&H retirement account!
Career Development Benefit from our culture of internal promotion! Help with reducing your tuition costs with our tuition reimbursement program & discount degree programs. Employee Assistance Program, Health & Wellness and much more!
Do you want to help SB&H fulfill our mission, Delivering compassionate care to enhance lives and improve communities? To gain a stronger understanding of Southwest Behavioral & Health Services mission, values and services please review our website, https://www.sbhservices.org/history-mission-milestones.
Compassion: We take an empathetic and caring approach to the well-being of one another through personal connections.
Integrity: We do the right thing by being sincere, honest, and keeping our word under any circumstance.
Quality: We uphold a standard of excellence that focuses on achieving successful outcomes.
Empowerment: We champion self-determination, equity, and inclusivity in an environment where our team and community feel valued.
Innovation: We pioneer change by encouraging team involvement and dynamic thinking that implement progressive solutions.
Trust: We nurture a culture where each individual can express themselves by building relationships based on respect, reliability, acceptance, and honest communication.
SB&H is a drug-free workplace, drug screening required. EOE
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.