Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ, United States
Arizona State University
Under the general supervision, coordinates activities and functions of events and operations as it relates to building logistics, students staffing, audio-visual equipment, and event operations to ensure goals and objectives are accomplished. This position reports to the Director of Events and Centers for Memorial Union and Student Pavilion.
$42,300 per year
· Supervises, leads, trains and monitors the activities of assigned student staff.
· Assists with the hiring and recruitment of assigned student staff.
· Oversee student employee work, including work allocation, training and problem resolution; evaluate performance; motivate employees to achieve peak productivity and performance.
· Manages scheduling of student staff using departmental employee scheduling and management application (Subitup).
· Responsible for weekly time reconciliation and approvals using departmental employee scheduling and management application (Subitup).
· Assists in coordinating activities of Event and Meeting Services/Operations.
· Oversees event set-ups and works closely with student staff and clients to ensure the successful operation of meeting and event spaces within the Student Pavilion building.
· Oversees and assess all customer service and quality control initiatives, interacting with students, faculty, staff and guests during events to ensure successful outcomes.
· Advance student experiences to cultivate community, healthfulness, and skill building.
· Collaborates with custodial staff and maintenance staff as necessary to ensure event spaces are cleaned and maintained.
· Manages student communication and project management platforms including but not limited to: Slack, Google Team Drives and Trello.
· Ensures all media, sound and audio-visual equipment are in working order.
· Prepares budget proposals, recommendations, and approvals where appropriate.
· Established budget control system for controlling expenditures.
· Researches and recommends equipment purchases and maintains inventories.
· Contributes to the development and oversees the implementation of training and workshops with high impact on program and/or participants; monitors logistics, scheduling and participant communications.
· Administers safety and security protocols, offering clear direction to the student staff that ensures appropriate facility use and behavior, while adhering to policy and procedure.
· Represents the Events and Centers team on various department and university committees.
· Works with management team to evaluate effectiveness and potential of Memorial Union and Student Pavilion programs/functions.
· Provides assistance, information and guidance to faculty, staff, and outside organizations regarding ASU, Memorial Union, Student Pavilion, and Event and Meeting Services.
· Will include nights and weekends with flexible days and hours based on program needs. Serves on an on-call basis as principal respondent to building emergencies and off-standard situations, as appropriate.
· Support University wide events, such as Move-In and Welcome Week, Homecoming and Family Weekend.
· Participates in assessment efforts within the department, including basic tracking of activities, program evaluation, and measurement of learning outcomes.
Bachelor's degree in a field appropriate to the area of assignment AND three (3) years of related experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of education and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
· Evidence of a Master’s degree in related field.
· Demonstrated knowledge of the principles and practices pertaining to Student Unions in higher education and related operations and/or student programs.
· Demonstrated knowledge of event setups and operations.
· Demonstrated knowledge of audio-visual equipment.
· Demonstrated knowledge of management and supervisory principles and practices.
· Experience working in a service-focused environment.
· Experience working with students in a higher education environment.
· Demonstrated knowledge of budgeting and accounting principles.
· Demonstrated knowledge of basic project management.
· Experience in budget preparation and forecasting.
· Experience in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
· Evidence of effective communication skills.
· Regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities which may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts.
· Active supervision of student staff, event management and building appearance.
· Professionally represents department/program
· Use computers effectively – including inputting, reviewing and retrieving information
· Work collaboratively across various departments and campuses within the University as well as with diverse populations and groups
· Develop and deliver presentations to groups
· Walk throughout campus for meetings or events and climb stairs in locations with no elevator
· Ability to lift 25 lbs
· Sit and stand for prolonged periods of time
· Uses critical thinking skills to make decisions and/or analyze data
The Memorial Union and the Student Pavilion serve as the campus community center and the hub of student connection collectively. Run by the Memorial Union and Student Pavilion team and located in the center of student life at ASU Tempe, the 75,000 square foot Student Pavilion, is an event venue for guest lectures, musicals, comedic performances and student productions. The Student Pavilion was designed as a Net Zero Energy building and will deliver green qualities including renewable energy, energy-efficiency and Zero Waste. The Student Pavilion also serves as a central gathering place for students as it houses offices for Undergraduate Student Government, Programming and Activities Board, the Cultural Coalitions and the Multicultural Communities of Excellence space on Tempe campus.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/az-resources.
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
IMPORTANT NOTE: What is the meaning of “equivalent combination” in the minimum qualifications? It means one year of higher education or 24 credit hours, is equal to one year of experience. For example, a four year Bachelor’s degree is equal to four years of experience.
To apply please go to www.asu.edu/asujobs/ see Req Id# 79292BR