State College, Pennsylvania, United States
Cosmetologist / Hair Stylist
Stylist Job Description
The stylist is the most important position in the salon. We are very proud of our stylists and believe that our
stylists are the best in the business. The stylist is responsible for servicing guests in a friendly, professional
way and understanding that the guests satisfaction is of utmost importance. The stylist will accomplish this
by following the Brand Standards. Utilizing a thorough consultation procedure to ensure that every guests
expectations are exceeded is part of the commitment a stylist makes when becoming a member of our
Essential Functions -
- Provide quality services that include an exceptional client consultation (Brand Standards) and a price quote for services.
- Educate and recommend products to help the guests maintain their hairstyles between salon visits.
- Build relationships that contribute to an environment of teamwork and achieving goals.
- Make positive contributions to the salon culture creating an exceptional work environment.
- Correctly charge for services rendered and products purchased, including proper discounting.
- Meet or exceed minimum productivity standards as established by your Salon Leader.
- Utilize existing business building tools and programs to increase sales and guest retention.
- Work the lease line to promote the salons business and create new clients.
- Demonstrate good time management skills, good judgement, and the ability to multi-task.
- Display a sound understanding and perform all available services in a competent, efficient and professional manner.
- Perform salon duties. Examples include but not limited to payment processing, answering the phone, taking appointments, stocking shelves, performing opening/closing duties, cleaning salon and shelves, cycle counts etc.
- Effective control of salon operating costs relating to back bar and retail inventories.
- Attend work timely and consistently, follow company policy regarding all time off requests.
- Maintain current Cosmetology, Natural Hair or Barbers License in your state.
- Attend and complete all required technical training sessions.
- Maintain a professional appearance and a positive attitude.
- Adhere to all corporate policies, procedures and work rules.
- Ensure opening/closing procedures are performed with care and accuracy and daily bank deposits are made.
- Must have a valid Cosmetology, Natural Hair or Barbers License in your state.
- Strong guest service skills.
- Good communication skills.
- Basic reading, writing, and mathematical skills.
- Computer knowledge including but not limited to point-of-sale systems.
- Professional appearance and presence.
- Ability to travel to work and arrive on time for your scheduled hours.
- Ability to work a flexible shift including nights and weekends.
Physical Requirements - The physical demands must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of this role.
- Ability to effectively communicate with team, peers, supervisors and support partners.
- Ability to effectively communicate with guests regarding services offered and requested, as well as the ability to understand guest needs and desires of such services.
- Visual observation of guests hair, including close vision, color vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- Frequent standing and walking for long periods of time.
- Continuous exposure to various chemicals and fragrances used in performing services and styling hair, including but not limited to permanent waving solutions, straightening solutions, shampoos, conditioners, hair spray and guests perfume.
- Continuous repetitive movement with fingers, hands, wrists and arms to perform various services.
- Occasional climbing of ladder/stepstool to stock shelves, retrieve products, change collateral and maintain station.
- Occasional lifting of items up to 50 lbs. including pushing/pulling of styling chair.
- Ability to reach shoulder level and above to stock shelves and retrieve product/supplies from cupboards and shelves.
- Ability to twist and bend to sweep hair off the floor after each service.
- Ability to travel when needed for training and possibly between salon locations.