The Salvation Army - Southwest Division
Day Camp Counselor
LOCATION: The Salvation Army - Kroc Center - Phoenix AZ
STATUS: Full Time Temporary
POSITION SUMMARY: The Day Camp Counselor will assist with leading day camp and other recreation activities according to written lesson plans. They will assist with ensuring the safe use of the facility and execution of activities through enforcement of facility regulations, properly notifying and documenting any injuries of participants.
- Must be a minimum of 18 years of age.
- Current & continuous enrollment in high school or GED class
- High School diploma or GED equivalency
- Employment as a teacher-caregiver aide for 12 months preferred
- Service as a volunteer in a childcare facility for 12 months preferred
- Bilingual English/Spanish is preferred.
- Must become CPR/First Aid/AED certified prior to first camp session worked.
- Must obtain a Fingerprint Clearance card prior to first camp session worked.
- Must obtain a Food Handlers card prior to first camp session worked.
- Must obtain a tuberculosis test prior to first camp session worked.
- Must complete 18 hours of Arizona Department of Health Safety training within 10 days of employment annually.
- Must demonstrate the ability to teach a variety of activities involving education, computers, sports, performing arts, fine arts and/or fitness, preferably in a camp setting.
- Must have the ability to maintain a non-judgmental attitude in working with customers, clients, members and staff.
- Must thrive in a team-oriented environment and team player.
- Must be able to maintain strict confidentiality as needed.
- Must be in good physical and mental health.
- Must be capable of meeting the demands of day camp during a strenuous 40-hour workweek.
- Strong desire and ability to work well with children, parents, and staff in a capacity of leadership, counseling, and education including but not limited to:
- Relating joyfully and sensitively to children of all ages.
- Sensitivity to children’s individual needs.
- Use appropriate positive discipline consistently.
- Handle security and crisis situations calmly.
- Engage and maintain a child’s interest in activities.
- Adapt teaching method or behavior management style according to child’s needs.
- Must have the ability to create and facilitate programming that promotes character building.
Qualified individuals must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without accommodation. A qualified person with a disability may request a modification or adjustment to the job or work environment in order to meet the physical requirements of the position. The Salvation Army will attempt to satisfy requests as long as the accommodation needed is reasonable and no undue hardship would result. Qualified individuals must have access to reliable transportation.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, stand, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and reach with hands and arms on a continuous basis. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 20 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Must have the ability to operate telephone, a desktop or laptop computer, as well as the ability to access and produce information from a computer, and to understand written information.
The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian Church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.