Diocese of Tucson
Diocesan Senior Accountant
Posted over 1 month ago
Diocese of Tucson
Job Title: Senior Accountant Exemption Status: Exempt
Department/Location: Diocese of Tucson Pastoral Center/Tucson, AZ
Primary Function: Under the direction of the Chief Financial Officer, the Senior Accountant is responsible for executing a variety of financial procedures, including reconciling bank and investment accounts, making journal entries, maintaining general ledgers and preparing month-end close procedures. A successful Senior Accountant combines excellent analytical skills with a thorough knowledge of accounting principles to analyze financial reports. Also supports parishes on occasion by performing and documenting assessments of parish financial internal controls.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the Churchs spiritual and pastoral mission
- Shall abide by Catholic principles in the employees professional and private life, and shall govern his/her professional and private life in strict accordance with Catholic morals and principles to demonstrate complete adherence to Catholic moral strictures;
- Assists accounting operations of eight Diocesan entities.
- Reconciles monthly bank and investment accounts.
- Supports month-end and year-end close process.
- Compiles financial statements of smaller entities.
- Develops and documents business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls.
- Assists with preparation of workpapers for annual financial audits.
- Performs financial and operational reviews of parish entities as needed. Assist with investigations when irregularities are reported or suspected.
- Perform other tasks as directed by Chief Financial Officer.
Physical/Mental Requirements: Requires coordination and manual dexterity, normal mental and visual ability; ability to lift as required in a normal office environment.
Required Activities: Walking; sitting; standing; stooping; reaching; talking; handling; hearing; carrying; and keyboarding.
- Must be a practicing Roman Catholic in full communion with the Church.
- Working knowledge of the Catholic Church including familiarity with its structures.
- Strong mathematical and analytical skills.
- Highly proficient with spreadsheet software.
- Hands-on experience with accounting software.
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Excellent human relations and interpersonal skills.
- Self-starter, well-organized and a team player.
- Able to travel on occasion.
- Able to maintain confidentiality.
- Able to successfully complete a criminal history and background check.
- Professional bearing and clean and neat personal appearance.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, or related field.
- 3+ years of progressively responsible financial experience.
- Preference will be given to candidates who are Certified as Public Accountants or with a Masters degree in Business, Finance or Accounting.
- Proficiency in Spanish is preferred.
Covenants of Employment:
Diocese of Tucson is a Roman Catholic religious organization and that all employees are expected to respect and conduct themselves in accordance with the values, teachings and morals of the Roman Catholic Church and by Arizona state law. Under the "Zero Tolerance Policy", no one will be knowingly assigned or retained to serve in the Parish/Church/School when that person is determined to have engaged in the abuse of a minor or to have violated boundaries in dealing with minors.