Under the general direction of the North American Controller, the Payroll Manager, North American Shared Services will oversee, control and coordinate all payroll processing and payroll accounting related activities for the North American shared services payroll function at SWM. The position develops, implements, and oversees plans and programs related to time and attendance rules, payroll processing, payroll policies and compliance. The position reviews quarterly and annual tax filing reports, identifies problems, researches solutions and implements corrections. The incumbent will be responsible for managing personnel and coordinating activity with third-party payroll processors and will ensure payroll compliance with North American regulations, payroll and time and attendance policies.
· Lead / coordinate with all North American business units the centralized processing of payroll information by directing the collection, calculation and entering of data in a shared services environment
· Manage SWM payroll personnel and coordinate all activity with third-party payroll processors
· Develop, manage and maintain consistently strong relationships with the third-party payroll processors
· Ensure payroll records are up-to-date and accurate through collaboration with Human Resources and other departments
· Ensure compliance with required Company pay and time and attendance policies and internal controls
· Collaborate with the Human Resources department to ensure 401-K employer deductions and match amounts are in alignment with the company benefit policy and are remitted to the 401-K administrator under the proper classifications (pretax, loan, catchup, after tax, employer match)
· Maintains appropriate knowledge to ensure compliance with federal, state (province) and local wage and labor requirements through knowledge of existing laws and new legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements and advising management on required actions as needed
· Stays current on payroll systems and processes to achieve alignment with Human Resources benefit deductions and entitlement policies
· Ensures all required tax filings as well as all quarterly and year-end reporting are completed and submitted in a timely fashion
· Supervises the preparation of and may assist in the preparation of various payroll related journal entries, account reconciliations and provides general ledger support
· Support corporate-wide activities related to the payroll planning, the integration of payroll activities for new acquisitions and the implementation of payroll related processes and systems as required
· Provide counsel and advice to management on the effects of the payroll tax rules, regulations and issues as they relate to the Company or to specific business decisions
· Direct the development of sound payroll practices, procedures and systems for the Company in order to ensure that all payroll reporting and internal control requirements are met
· Maintains payroll guidelines by writing and updating policies as required
· Manage and coordinate payroll audits for all U.S. business unit locations of the Company to ensure compliance with SWM policy and federal, state (province) and jurisdictional laws and regulations
· Ensure that department costs are controlled with the objective of minimizing costs while providing quality services to shared-services customers
· Provides communication and instruction or facilitates management and employee understanding of payroll processing and policy and procedure compliance
· Prepares reports as needed for management review
· Communicate in writing and verbally with superiors, subordinates and others as appropriate
· Lead continuous improvement initiatives aimed at improving the efficiency of payroll process to achieve best in class metrics for payroll shared services
· Additional duties as required.
A Bachelors degree in Business, Accounting, Finance or equivalent is required with a minimum of 10 years progressively responsible experience in payroll or a combination of education and experience. Payroll certification such as Certified Payroll Professional is a plus.
· Knowledge of federal , state (province) and local payroll laws and compliance procedures
· Strong attention to detail
· Demonstrated ability to interact with multiple business units and other support service functions in a professional manner
- Experience with Ceridian, ADP or similar payroll systems
- Experience with Oracle, Syteline or LN ERP systems preferred
· Strong aptitude in the areas of payroll accounting, payroll tax reporting and related documentation
· Advanced Microsoft excel skills and general Microsoft office and outlook applications
· Strong leadership, communication and analytical skills
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.