Arizona State University
Scottsdale, Arizona, United States
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR, ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT AND INNOVATION ZONES
Executive Director, Economic Development and Innovation Zones
Arizona State University
Under administrative direction, the Executive Director will lead an economic development team and work across the ASU Enterprise to cultivate and secure private tenants to be co-located with ASU. The Executive Director will perform work with broad management and strategic responsibilities of considerable difficulty and sensitivity in planning, organizing, directing and coordinating administrative and operational activities of the department and supervising all aspects of department staff. Reports to Vice President, Corporate and Economic Development.
Innovation Zones at ASU provide an opportunity for external entities to work in close proximity with ASU staff, students and faculty, as well as with other high-profile industry leaders. ASU’s seven Innovation Zones offer tenants a wide range of customizable options appropriate to size, industry and need.
The ASU Economic Development team helps companies and community partners leverage the nation’s most innovative university in order to create jobs, nurture new businesses, support existing companies and assist civic leaders in making informed decisions about economic growth in their communities.
$135,000 – $225,000 per year; DOE
· Working with the CFO, University Planner, and the University Real Estate Development team, ensuring the utilization of our innovation zones for development of a robust university corporate partnership ecosystem.
· Working with the Corporate Engagement and Strategic Partnerships team, ensuring the success of our corporate partners across the Phoenix metro area.
· Working with the Entrepreneurship + Innovation team, ensuring that we enable a vibrant entrepreneurial ecosystem in our cities and the state.
· Working with Enterprise Partners and University Realty to ensure a vibrant engagement with ASU’s Innovation Zone portfolio and potential investors.
· Working with the Government and Community Engagement office, ensuring a strong relationship and partnership with our cities towards achieving their economic development aspirations.
· Engaging with Greater Phoenix Economic Council, Arizona Commerce Authority, Maricopa Association of Governments, and the economic development leads in the cities in attraction, retention and growth of companies in the greater Phoenix area.
· Participates in the development and execution of the strategic direction for the ASU Innovation Zones playbook which will include qualitative and quantitative measurements of success that help the university achieve its broader mission of access, excellence and impact.
· Develops and maintains robust metrics for overall performance and productivity of ASU’s Innovation Zones.
· Contributes to the regional economic development, business attraction, and retention efforts in collaboration with local organizations such as the ACA/GPEC.
· Plans, directs and reviews the activities and operations of the department.
· Identifies issues which may impact the department, resolves problems and issues affecting the department, and directs measures to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the department.
· Confers with university officials, program directors, budget administrators, external advisory boards and/or staff to make determinations for budget development, strategic planning, requests, and management analysis and accountability reports.
· Develops long- and short-range goals to strategically align departments with overall goals of University.
· Develops objectives and activities based on department goals.
· Develops, maintains and implements department policies and procedures.
· Oversees the tracking of leads/projects and reporting on the various stages of projects to stakeholders.
· Interprets and applies pertinent rules, regulations, policies and procedures set forth by the university or other governing agencies.
· Supervises directly and through subordinate supervisors all department staff.
· Oversees and participates in the hiring, training and evaluation of department staff.
· Determines and takes appropriate corrective action and discipline including termination.
· Represents the college/department and serves on various department and university committees.
· Acts as liaison with faculty, advisors, administrators and staff from both the university and external agencies.
· Serves as representative of the University at state, regional and national organizations, boards, councils, and committees as assigned.
· Travels to other locales for engagement and cultivation of tenants (~20%)
· Manages the design, development and coordination of projects.
· Prepares complex reports, documents, and correspondence.
Masters degree in a field appropriate to the area of assignment, and eight (8) years of related administrative experience which includes five (5) years of supervisory experience; OR, any equivalent combination of education and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skills, and abilities have been achieved.
· Experience in leading regional economic initiatives
· Experience in working with public-private partnerships.
· Experience in working with cities and municipalities.
· Experience in securing funding to advance projects (federal, state, private)
· Experience working with commercial real estate spaces.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every single qualification. We are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly, we encourage you to apply anyway. We value your unique background and perspective, and you may be just the right candidate for this position or other roles on our team.
· Climate-controlled office setting subject to extended periods of being in a stationary position.
· Constantly detects and operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine and computer printer.
· Ability to clearly communicate in and exchange accurate information to perform essential duties.
· Expected to be responsive to customers, engaged in work production, resourceful, flexible, and respectful of others.
For the eighth year in a row, ASU has been named the most innovative school in the nation, recognizing the university's culture of groundbreaking research and partnerships, as well as its commitment to helping students thrive in college and beyond. U.S. News and World Report has named ASU as the most innovative university all eight years the category has existed.
ASU Knowledge Enterprise advances research, innovation, strategic partnerships, entrepreneurship, and international development. Our success arises from solutions-focused, interdisciplinary research; an entrepreneurial approach that is embedded in every school and department; and a commitment to transform society in a positive way. To learn more about how Knowledge Enterprise is a place for your career to grow, visit https://research.asu.edu/about-us/careers.
At Economic Development, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly, we encourage you to apply anyway. We value your unique background and perspective, and you may be just the right candidate for this position or other roles on our team.
Working at ASU has additional perks and OUTSTANDING benefits, which include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; sick leave and holidays; ASU/UA/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to ASU recreation and cultural activities; and more. To estimate the value of your total compensation, please visit https://cfo.asu.edu/compensation-estimator.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU PD at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/az-resources.
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
IMPORTANT NOTE: What is the meaning of “equivalent combination” in the minimum qualifications? It means one year of higher education or 24 credit hours, is equal to one year of experience. For example, a four year Bachelor’s degree is equal to four years of experience.
To view full description or to apply please click this link: https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGnewUI/Search/Home/Home?partnerid=25620&siteid=5494#jobDetails=4767498_5494