La Frontera EMPACT
Apache Junction, AZ
Family Support Counselor
EMPACT-SPC (Suicide Prevention Center), a member agency of La Frontera Arizona, is an industry leading non-profit organization dedicated to providing valued community services and resources for behavioral health counseling, crisis intervention, and suicide prevention since 1987. We are an EEO/AA Employer.
We are currently hiring for Family Support Counselor. This position is based out of our office located in Apache Junction.
Family Support Counselors (FSC-s) have the natural ability to form positive supportive relationships with children and adults in caring, family and community based environments using ways that adhere to the 12 AZ Principles. Assists with the coordination of case management services and communication of community-based resources. Performs procedures to support clinical operations including problem resolution and customer service; documentation, attends Child and Family Teams, and performs other duties as assigned, which may include mentoring children, assisting with living skills, providing respite for families, and other supportive services.
- Provide mentoring, life and social skill building, psychosocial rehabilitation living skills training, respite, individual and family counseling, crisis intervention and stabilization, behavior management, intensive wraparound to children and their families in their home and in community-based settings. Family Support Counselors who are Masters Level Therapists may provide clinical services and psychotherapy for the purpose of assessment, diagnosis, and treatment.
- In collaboration with each child and family, support services to families, youth, and adults, that meet the following 12 Arizona Principles: Collaboration with the family, youth, and adult; Emphasis on achieving functional outcomes; Collaboration with others, including participation in unified assessment, planning and service approaches when families, youth, and adults are involved with multiple systems; Access for families, youth, and adults to a comprehensive array of sufficient behavioral health services to meet their needs; Best practices; Most appropriate setting; Timeliness; Services tailored to the family, youth, and adult; Stability in placements; Respect for the family's, youths, and adults unique cultural heritage; Independence, and; Connection to natural supports.
- Deliver at least 40 hours of work per week, with a goal of 30 hours direct client contact, which includes case management as needed. Productivity standards established annually. Complete all tasks agreed upon by timelines given.
- Facilitate, schedule, and provide follow up on Family, youth, and adult team meetings (ACT or CFT). Complete written documentation of this meeting and provide copy to all team members. Engage and invite natural supports as identified by family, youth, and adult. Make referrals to collaborating partners and other community services, as client needs indicate.
- Promote and protect the health, safety, and emotional well-being of children and families by assisting, supporting and educating them to prevent illness and avoid unsafe activities.
- Work with the child, family, and any support network to identify areas of risk and to create safeguards specific to these concerns.
- Assists the CFT in crisis stabilization and transitional moves to and from higher levels of care.
- Consistently address challenging behaviors proactively, respectfully, and by avoiding the use of aversive or deprivation intervention techniques in family-centered, strengths-based manners.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule based on the needs of the children and families, which may include evening or weekend hours when needed.
- Bachelors degree in Behavioral Health related field or meet BHT qualifications required.
- Experience working with children with behavioral needs and different diagnosis.
- Experience working with parents on parenting skills, modifying behavior and modeling parenting style.
- Ability to engage with others easily, coordinate with DCS and follow up in timely manner.
- Previous use of behavior charts and behavior modification skills.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including evening and/or weekend hours.
- Detail oriented & ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Must have Fingerprint clearance card or be eligible to obtain one.
- Must have a valid AZ driver's license with no major infractions in the past three years.
- Must have regular access to reliable transportation.
- Bi-lingual (Spanish) Diff per hour available.
- Must be at least 21 years of age at time of employment.
Additional Requirements and Responsibilities:
- Demonstrated ability to remain calm in crisis situations, work independently and cooperatively, recognize personal limitations, and relate positively and with empathy to all persons regardless of age, race, creed, gender or sexual orientation.
- Maintain professional conduct consistent with ethical professional practice and the policies and procedures of the agency.
- Maintain a professional demeanor and positive working relationships with internal and external team members, stakeholders, and community and business partners.
- If driving while on agency time or on agency business, a valid Arizona driver license and appropriate liability insurance and approval for liability coverage with EMPACT - SPCs liability insurance carrier is required.