The Salvation Army - Southwest Division
Fitness Instructor I
LOCATION: The Salvation Army Kroc Center - Phoenix, AZ
STATUS: On Call
POSITION SUMMARY: The Fitness Instructor I will lead group fitness classes for members and guests of different ages and abilities, instructing students on the specific class technique as well as general health and fitness tips. This position will provide information and answer questions about available programs. The Fitness Instructor I will adhere to and enforce all rules that pertain to the group fitness area on a constant basis.
- Must be able to design high-quality, up-to-date, scientifically sound, safe and effective Group Fitness Classes for a variety of student ability levels.
- Must uphold the scope and practice of fitness professionals.
- Maintain the confidentiality of all client information.
- Ability to communicate effectively with clientele and staff.
- Demonstrate positive team leadership capabilities and supervision skills.
- Demonstrate the ability to relate positively and energetically with coworkers and participants.
- Ability to maintain a non-judgmental attitude in working with coworkers and participants.
- Maintain a professional attitude and approach to problem solving.
- Must be able to work independently, with minimal supervision.
- Thrive in a team-oriented environment. Be a team player.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and maintain poise under pressure.
- Ability to empathize and communicate with low-income and vulnerable people.
- Must be at least 18 years.
- Must possess and maintain current certificates for the specific class format hired to teach.
- Prefer at least 1 years’ prior experience teaching Group Fitness Classes.
- Must have the ability to instruct with proficiency.
- Experience leading various groups of people with different fitness abilities.
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check
Qualified individuals must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without accommodation. A qualified person with a disability may request a modification or adjustment to the job or work environment in order to meet the physical requirements of the position. The Salvation Army will attempt to satisfy requests as long as the accommodation needed is reasonable and no undue hardship would result.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, stand, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and reach with hands and arms on a continuous basis. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 20 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Must have the ability to operate telephone, a desktop or laptop computer, as well as the ability to access and produce information from a computer, and to understand written information.
The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.