Shawnee Mission School District
Overland Park, KS, United States
Food Service Assistant
The Food Service Assistant is responsible for the daily food preparation, serving, cashiering, and clean-up, as well as other routine production and operational food service duties under the direction of the manager.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Prepare or assist in preparing food as assigned.
• Measure and read measuring devices and convert measurements (ex: from cups to gallons, ounces to pounds).
• Read and follow recipes.
• Assist with service of food to students and adults using portion control standards.
• Practice good customer service.
• Accurately operates cashier point of sale computer correctly ringing up meals and ala carte sales.
• Complete clean-up duties and dishwashing duties as assigned.
• Follow proper food handling to maintain food quality and ensure food safety.
• Operate kitchen equipment in a proper manner to assure safety as well as to avoid damage to the equipment.
• Report food supply needs and equipment problems to the food service manager.
• Maintain job skills to perform assigned duties and participate in available training programs. Attends classes, in-services and workshops.
• Practice good personal hygiene.
• Responsible for the safety and sanitation of food products produced, served, stored and handled.
• Responsible for safety of self and fellow employees and work areas.
• Practice proper cleaning and sanitizing procedures.
• Communicates effectively with school, students and the community.
• Cooperates willingly with co-workers.
• Correctly and willingly follows instructions.
• Handles food in accordance with sanitary regulations.
• Assist with the completion of all paperwork. Examples include, temperature logs, production records, HACCP records.
• May be assigned to another kitchen in the event of an emergency if requested by supervisor or Manager of Food Services Department.
• Ensure compliance with all regulations.
• The Food Service Assistants in the central kitchen must be willing to work in satellite buildings. After the meal is produced in the central kitchen, the employee travels to a satellite building to assist with lunch service. The employee will be reimbursed for mileage, according to District policy, iwhen personal transportation is used.
• It is the employee’s responsibility to enter mileage and submit the request.
• Completes other duties as assigned.
TRAINING, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
• High school diploma or GED preferred.
• Must be able to perform all tasks in kitchen, including food preparation, serving, cashier, and clean up, with normal training.
• Must be able to operate all equipment required.
• Must be able to work well with staff, other building employees, students and the public.
• Successfully completion of the Kansas State Department Education’s (KSDE’s) food safety training requirement within six months of employment.
• Must be able to lift, load, and carry food trays, cases, and supplies weighing an average of 30 pounds.
• Must be able to bend and squat.
• Must be able to assist other food service workers with the completion of their tasks, and be able to serve as a replacement worker for absent food service employees.
• Must be able to stand continuously during a work shift.
• Must be able to complete assigned job tasks within the time specifications designated by the Kitchen Manager, Supervisor or Manager of Food Services.
• In addition, as an organization/community that reflects and appreciates diversity, bilingual communication skills are noted and valued.
• Health Insurance (minimum of 20 hours worked per week)
• On-Site Health Facility - accessible to those covered by a district health insurance plan
• Free Fitness Center - Team Members and Families
• Paid Holidays
• Retirement Plan
• Paid Sick Leave