Geospatial Lead Analyst - Lloyd's List Intelligence
Lloyd's List Intelligence, part of the FTSE 100 Informa Group, the global leaders in geo-spatial Big Data tracking and analysis of 80% of global trade on more than 400,000 ships. As the Maritime Intelligence Vertical moves into building Analytics capability on top of a bedrock of high quality, real-time and high volume shipping data, we are excited to be shaping a team of experts who will be focussed on data analytics, data science models and machine learning to build excellent workflow solutions for our large customer base.
The position of Geospatial Analyst is an exciting new role within the analytics team of Lloyds List Intelligence, the global leader in geospatial shipping data, analysis and insight. As Lloyds List Intelligence strengthens its analytical capabilities on top of a bedrock of high quality, real-time and high-volume shipping big data, we are excited to be shaping a team of geospatial experts who will be focussed on building a market leading geospatial database for our customers.
This position presents an exciting opportunity for a results-driven individual with geospatial data experience who wants to be part of our journey to deliver an ambitious roadmap. Some maritime knowledge and experience can be an advantage but more important is a passion for large scale spatial data analytics and putting our customers first.
- Responsible for collecting, curating and analysing geospatial data in support of our data quality programme and customer needs
- Recommend and develop appropriate geospatial database solutions to complement our existing software as a service and API offerings
- Engage with our analytics teams, data engineers and product team to establish geospatial data best practices and standards and identify synergies that would benefit our workflows and our customers
- Contribute to system designs for working with geospatial data, ensuring good performance, scalability, usability and security
- Can implement best practices in availability, management and use of geospatial data.
- Can quality control geospatial data using OGC standards.
- Has a good understanding of RDBMS.
- Can instruct in-house and external data teams on how the data should be stored and manipulated.
- Proficient in geospatial analytics and analysis. Can explore the data appropriately and document findings.
- Can use data effectively to conduct proficient quality assurance on the data, such as timeliness and accuracy.
- Can look for patterns, analyse results, and make presentations to others to explain the methodology.
- Able to use data to make decisions with a willingness to explore creative approaches to manipulate the data and use it to derive further content.
- Can proficiently query a geoaptial database to any level requested.
- Can you use programming languages such as Python and R effectively to automate workflows and analysis.
- Displays creativity in seeking solutions to problems and in making decisions.
- Able to integrate new ideas with current approaches.
- Effectively identifies potential problems before they arise and acts on issues in the early stages by making decisive decisions.
- Once solved, problems do not arise again.
- Makes good decisions with limited but accurate information while working within a set timeframe.
- Actively seeks input when making decisions and openly encourages a diversity of opinions.
- Explores a variety of strategies for solving problems before presenting the top one or two for assessment.
- Can critically assess a process and be able to articulate the benefits to others while also suggesting ways of improving this.
- Always assesses strengths and weaknesses or dependencies before suggesting and outlining a process improvement.
Written and Oral Communication:
- Demonstrates excellent communication skills and is able to use this to translate complex processes into easily digestible information for any audience to understand.
- Can write easily understandable processes and uses vocabulary required to successfully express thoughts, ideas and explanations.
- Presents comprehensive feedback in way suitable to some audiences.
- Engaged in novel approaches and ideas that can create tangible benefits to the business.
- Makes suggestions and finds out better ways of working.
- Can think through and present how new processes can bring about the most benefit to the business.
- Can communicate and document these ideas so that others can understand whilst also translating this into key business requirements.
- Thrives in, and encourages a culture of continuous improvement
- Technical experience with relational database management systems such as PostgreSQL with PostGIS extension and Amazon Redshift
- Proficient user of GIS software such as QGIS
- Familiar with Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) standards
- Good programming skills using languages such as Python and R
- Excellent interpersonal skills and effective communicator
Why work at Informa
Employee experience is very important to us at Informa. On top of joining a supportive, diverse and ambitious team that welcomes all types of candidates. We are also flexible with different working patterns and prioritize promotions internally. Our benefits include:
- Learning and development plan to assist with your career development
- 25 days annual leave, 4 days for volunteering and a day off for your birthday!
- Competitive Benefits
- Work with high quality specialist products
- Bright and friendly staff who are all "experts experts" and additional training and development for helping you achieve your career aspiration
- Share-Match options - become a shareholder
- Regular social events and networking opportunities
We know that sometimes the 'perfect candidate' doesn't exist, and that people can be put off applying for a job if they don't fit all the requirements. If you're excited about working for us and have most of the skills or experience we're looking for, please go ahead and apply. You could be just what we need! We believe strongly in the value of diversity and creating supportive, inclusive environments where our colleagues can succeed. As such, Informa is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, or religious creed, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, military or veteran status, citizenship, or other protected characteristics.