Arizona State University
Tempe, Arizona, United States
GROUNDSKEEPER (WEEKENDS)-TEMPE CAMPUS
Groundskeeper (Weekends) - Tempe campus
Arizona State University
FDM FM Grounds Services
Facilities Management, Grounds Services, Tempe campus, seeks a Weekend-Days -Groundskeeper to maintain grounds and participate in all types of grounds maintenance activities.
$20.12 per hour. ASU offers a comprehensive benefits package with the State of Arizona.
07-June-2023 is the initial close date. Applications will continue to be accepted and reviewed each week until the job is filled.
· Maintain grounds and roads e.g. plant, remove debris, water; spray for weeds and insects; operate and maintain landscaping tools and equipment.
· Perform maintenance, and install/remove outdoor signage.
· Plant shrubs, trees, and flowers. Prune trees and shrubs.
· Remove debris from stairs and walk, rake leaves and mow lawns.
· Pick up litter and empty outdoor trash/recycling cans.
· Water trees, shrubs and lawns and perform irrigation activities.
· Spray for weeds and insects using unrestricted chemicals as required.
· Operate large power lawn mowers, edgers, hand tools and large vehicles associated with ground maintenance and landscaping activities.
· Operate pick-up trucks for hauling purposes and for trash and debris removal.
· Perform minor maintenance and repair on equipment and tools as required.
· Clean up and maintenance for special events and sporting activities (i.e. events at Gammage, Wells Fargo Arena, or Old Main).
· Use ability to communicate to perform the essential functions of the job.
DAYS AND SCHEDULE: Friday – Tuesday; 5:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Any experience which provides knowledge, skills and ability to perform the work. Employee may be required to possess a valid US Driver’s license of the appropriate class and required endorsements throughout employment.
· using and operating grounds equipment and/or tools (e.g. leaf sweepers, line trimmers, hedge trimmers, blowers, hand truck, power lift gate, hammer drill, chain saw, basic hand tools, etc.)
· repairing/maintaining irrigation systems
· planting shrubs, trees, flowers, pruning trees/shrubs
· operating riding, push lawn mowers, and other turf related equipment
· power washer operation
· trash compactor operation
· minor equipment maintenance (e.g. oil changes, blade sharpening, filter changes, spark plug changes, use of grease gun, etc.)
· work that requires customer service skills
Evidence of effective communication skills
· Activities regularly require long periods of exposure to external elements indigenous to a desert environment, weather, potential exposure to venomous insects, insecticides, herbicides and fertilizers.
· Regularly required to operate a variety of landscaping equipment, tools and machines requiring extended periods of walking over uneven and occasionally rocky surfaces, stooping, bending, reaching, lifting and pushing objects of varying weights up to 50 pounds.
· Regular use of mowers, trimmers, edgers, shears, spreaders, hoses, hand and power tools/machines.
· May regularly operate a motor vehicle as assigned.
· This position receives regular review of daily work tasks to ensure adherence with established standards for quality, aesthetics, and quantity.
· Drive University vehicles and/or carts.
· May be exposed to hazardous and dangerous materials, tools, and equipment which will require safety precautions and/or specific process to be followed, and may include the use of Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) (e.g. safety glasses, hearing protection, negative pressure and positive pressure respirator). Use of PPE may require medical clearance prior to use.
ASU Facilities Development and Management (FDM) maintains and services all university-owned property, and develops and constructs innovative and sustainable facilities. FDM’s vision is to contribute to and guarantee the success of the university’s mission by creating and caring for the ASU campus and environment. We provide quality customer service, effectively steward our resources, and meet the needs of the university through creative and collaborative efforts.
ASU offers a comprehensive benefits package at very competitive rates to enhance the total compensation of its faculty and staff. This package includes low-cost health and life benefits to insure you and your family, a wellness program for preventative health education and screenings, a disability and leaves program for income protection, employee assistance for free and confidential behavioral health services, access to world-class educational opportunities at ASU/UofA/NAU at deeply discounted rates, disability resources for Americans with Disabilities (ADA), a retirement program with a variety of retiree benefits to ensure your financial security at the end of your career, paid vacation and holidays – and more. For more information, please visit the Office of Human Resources, Benefits website, at https://cfo.asu.edu/benefits
ASU’s comprehensive benefits package is a significant part of your overall total compensation – and ASU pays for most of it when you are a benefits-eligible employee. https://cfo.asu.edu/compensation-estimator
For more reasons to join ASU, please visit: https://cfo.asu.edu/why-work-asu
Facilities Development and Management at ASU employment requires current eligibility to legally work in the United States. Facilities Development and Management will not be a sponsor for this position.
This position is located at the University Services Building, 1551 S. Rural Road, Tempe, AZ (on Rural Road south of Apache Blvd).
Must pass pre-employment audiogram exam post offer of employment.
Must possess a valid Arizona driver's license (minimum of Class D) upon employment and maintain throughout employment. Post-offer of employment, selected candidate must possess an acceptable driving record which is 5 or fewer points in the most recent 39 month period from date of hire.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU PD at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/az-resources.
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
Work reference history information for 3 current and/or former supervisors will be requested at time of interview.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
IMPORTANT NOTE: What is the meaning of “equivalent combination” in the minimum qualifications? It means one year of higher education or 24 credit hours, is equal to one year of experience. For example, a four year Bachelor’s degree is equal to four years of experience.
To view full description or to apply please click this link: https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGnewUI/Search/Home/Home?partnerid=25620&siteid=5494#jobDetails=4766582_5494