Chicanos Por La Causa, Inc.
Location: Phoenix, AZ
OBJECTIVE AND POSITION SUMMARY
The Guidance Counselor for, Florence Crittenton/Girls Leadership Academy of Arizona, will provide leadership, advocacy, and collaboration to implement a preventative, proactive school counseling program using the American School Counselor Association (ASCA) National Model. The Guidance Counselor will provide student success through the implementation of this comprehensive school counseling program that addresses the academic, career, and personal/social needs of students.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Serve as liaison between GLAAZ, community business for career explorations, colleges & universities & military representatives for application deadlines, scholarship opportunities, campus events & resources and coordinates campus visits.
- Design & provide monthly electronic newsletters and other information to parents/guardians & students that relates to school information testing dates, college visitation dates, application deadlines, dates of military recruiter visits & transitional support.
- Coordinate test preparations such as, State Standardized Testing & College Board Testing, educate and inform students of purpose & test dates & related preparation activities. Desegregate all test data and support faculty to inform instruction based on that data.
- Help monitor and coordinate college admissions process, FAFSA completion and scholarship opportunities.
- Conduct orientation meetings with students and parents/guardians to provide information regarding class offerings, registration procedures & student expectations.
- Provide guidance/assistance with student supervision and discipline, as necessary.
- Conforms with all safety rules and uses all appropriate safety equipment.
- Establish professional relationships within the school and the school community to enhance student achievement.
- Performs all other related duties, as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
- Masters Degree in School Guidance and Counseling
- Arizona State School Counseling Certification
- Must Be Certified by ADE as a school guidance counselor
- Adheres to the American School Counselor Association Ethical Standards for School Counselors
- Fingerprint Clearance
- Must have and maintain a valid AZ Drivers License
- Must have and maintain an acceptable driving record
- Must have access to an automobile and maintain the minimum level of required automobile insurance per the State of Arizona
- Ability to successfully complete CPR & First Aid within required time frames
- 1 to 3 years of experience as a school counselor implementing the ASCA National Model
- 1 to 3 years of experience as a teacher or knowledge & implementation of classroom management skills and lesson delivery
- Experience using technology in research, school counseling program development, management, and delivery
- Participation and involvement in school counselor best practice training at the local, state and/or national level
- Actively involved in school community
- Ability to work with diverse populations and cultures
- Knowledge of college/university admissions processes, scholarship programs and other educational opportunities
- Knowledge of current developments in business and industry regarding career opportunities and employment
- Requires knowledge of post high school community and financial aid resources
- Ability to organize and coordinate work
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS
Position requirements: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the Team Member is regularly required to talk or hear. The Team Member regularly is required to stand, walk, sit, use hand to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The Team Member frequently lifts and/or moves up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, ability to adjust focus, and manual dexterity in combination with eye/hand coordination. Regular use of a keyboard including repetitive hand/wrist motion.
Continuous Learning: Continued professional development could include: ASCA National Model, Differentiated instruction, Understanding by Design, Response To Intervention, Positive Behavior Intervention Support, and other state-wide initiatives.
LIMITATIONS AND DISCLAIMER
This job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended or is implied to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the employee must possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently. All employees are accountable for understanding and complying with all corporate policies and procedures as well as any program specific policies and procedures. Continued employment remains on an at-will basis.
This job description is subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.