Contra Costa County Health Services
Martinez, California, United States
Health Services Timekeeping Supervisor
The Contra Costa County Health Services Department is offering an excellent career opportunity for qualified individuals interested in the Health Services Timekeeping Supervisor position. There is one vacancy in the Health Services Payroll Unit located in Martinez, CA.
The Health Services Timekeeping Supervisor is a single-position classification that is responsible for planning, organizing and supervising the day-to-day operations of the Health Services Payroll Unit. The successful candidate will perform complex and specialized clerical timekeeping work and ensure that staff is trained in all aspects of timekeeping procedures.
We are looking for someone who is:
- Organized. You will be responsible for working independently and managing your work, along with organizing how work is distributed among a team of payroll staff in order to meet deadlines.
- A Problem Solver. You will be required to problem-solve complex pay issues.
- Clear Communicator. You will communicate both orally and in writing with individuals and/or groups of individuals.
- Customer Service Oriented. You will encounter employees who are upset about their pay, and you will need to be empathetic in resolving their pay issues in a calm, helpful and effective manner.
What you will typically be responsible for:
- Supervising a team of timekeeping staff
- Investigating complex pay issues
- Communicating clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing
- Reviewing various Memorandum of Understandings (MOUs)
- Reviewing off-cycle check requests
- Working with a team of timekeeping staff so employees are paid correctly and timely
- Providing timely responses to timesheet/pay inquiries from various entities
- Running various reports
A few reasons you might love this job:
- You will work in an engaging and fast-paced work environment
- You will have continual learning opportunities
- You will collaborate with other County departments such as the Auditor-Controller, Human Resources and Risk Management
- You get to problem-solve employees’ pay items
- You will work with a team of staff who are passionate and dedicated to their job
A few challenges you might face in this job:
- You will encounter employees who are upset about their pay
- You must follow MOUs, regulations and standard work procedures
- You will audit and correct complex pay discrepancies
- You will deal with a variety of personalities and demands
- Critical Thinking: Analytically and logically evaluating information, propositions and claims
- Delivering Results: Meeting organizational goals and customer expectations and making decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems and calculating risks
- Fact Finding: Obtaining facts and data pertaining to an issue or question
- Reading Comprehension: Understanding and using written information
- Using Technology: Working with electronic hardware and software applications
- Handling Stress: Maintaining emotional stability and self-control under pressure, challenge, or adversity
- Self-Management: Showing personal organization, self-discipline, and dependability
- Informing: Proactively obtaining and sharing information
- Writing: Communicating effectively in writing
- Interpersonal Savvy: Considering and responding appropriately to the needs and feelings of others in different situations
- Leadership: Guiding and encouraging others to accomplish a common goal
Education: Possession of a high school diploma, G.E.D. equivalency or high school proficiency certificate.
Experience: Three years of full-time (or the equivalent of full-time) experience in the preparation and processing of payroll/timekeeping documents, at least one year of which must include leading a team of payroll staff.
The Board of Supervisors have authorized the following future salary increases: 5% on July 1, 2023; 5% on July 1, 2024; and 5% on July 1, 2025.
Closing Date: April 7, 2023
Equal Opportunity Employer