Land Acquisition Director
Job Description SummaryAs a Land Acquisition Director working for Taylor Morrison you will effectively and efficiently coordinate the acquisition of property to achieve business plans and financial objectives for the Division. You will engage with local brokers and property owners to negotiate land transactions and maintain a comprehensive working knowledge of competitive land deals in the market. You will own the project through successful approval at a Corporate level and work closely with other land project managers in the department to achieve successful entitlements and property closing. Important to understand all components of land acquisition and development processes and timing/sequencing of all phases of those processes. You will underwrite transactions, negotiate contracts and advise on suggested course of action to secure the companys ability to acquire land in time to then deliver lots to the business on a cadenced timeline.
What Youll Do
- Meet regularly with local brokerage community to stay current on all land offerings in the Phoenix MSA
- Physically inspect properties of interest
- Perform project underwriting which includes preparing the preliminary land budget
- Meet with engineers/planners/municipalities/other agencies as required to understand each property
- Review subdivision/development agreement requirements (if available or applicable)
- Write Letters of Intent (LOIs) for desired land assets
- Negotiate the terms of the Purchase and Sale Agreement (PSA) after LOI acceptance
- Manage the feasibility process to obtain all required due diligence
- Review title and assist in preparation and review of title objection letters
- Prepare and process the internal Investment Committee Application to obtain approval of each acquisition
- Work with the Operations Team to prepare and implement the annual strategic plan
- Ensure all wire requests for milestone deposits are completed in a timely manner per terms of PSA
- Ensure proper hand-off to land entitlement project manager or land development manager
- Assist in preparation the internal Investment Committee Application due at the time of closing
- Review all closing documents and facilitate the closing
Other Job Expectations:
- Understanding of financial metrics related to home building operations
- Ability to understand general plans and zoning requirements related to the Divisions various product types
- Ability to train others and manage a team of people
- Understanding of Community Facilities District (CFD) financing, land banking, joint development agreements, joint ventures and other financing options
- Ability to negotiate development agreements, reimbursement agreements, or other agreements with municipalities, governmental agencies, other home builders or land owners
- Perform other duties as assigned
Sound Like You?
You might be just who were looking for if you have
- Bachelors degree in Business, Accounting, Real Estate, Law, Planning or Engineering
- Ability to anticipate possible obstacles and propose favorable solutions
- Strong work ethic and commitment to implementation and execution
- Concise writing and public speaking/presentation skills are desirable for reporting to the management team
- Ability to read improvement plans, formulate budgets and understand accounting principles
- Maintain political affiliations
- Maintain network of colleagues and brokers
- Monitor and manage buyer negotiations/issues
- Keep abreast of local market land transactions
- Strong computer skills
- Attention to detail
FLSA Status: Exempt
Will have responsibilities such as:
- Interviewing, selecting, and training employees;
- Setting rates of pay and hours of work;
- Appraising productivity; handling employee grievances or complaints, or disciplining employees;
- Determining work techniques;
- Planning the work;
- Apportioning work among employees;
- Determining the types of equipment to be used in performing work, or materials needed;
- Planning budgets for work;
- Monitoring work for legal or regulatory compliance;
- Providing for safety and security of the workplace
Successful job applicants will be able to perform these functions. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Report to Division/Corporate Office/Community daily and adhere to schedule
- Ability to access, input, and retrieve information from a computer and/or electronic device
- Ability to have face to face conversations with customers, co-workers and higher level manager
- Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time and move around work environment as needed
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle if applicable
- Comply with company policies and procedure
- Must be able to able to remain in a stationary position up to 50% of the time
- The ability to frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds
*Taylor Morrison experience and/or successful completion of training program may override required education and/or experience requirement.
Job descriptions are not intended as, nor should be construed to be, exhaustive lists of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with a job. They are intended to be accurate reflections of those principal job duties and responsibilities essential for making fair pay decisions about the job.
Taylor Morrison is an equal opportunity employer. Taylor Morrison does not discriminate against any candidate or employee on the basis of race, national origin, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, religion or veteran status.
Benefits of Working With Taylor Morrison
We are looking for dedicated professionals that share our values of putting the customer - and their needs - first. In addition to a great team atmosphere, career development and advancement opportunities, we offer full-time employees an extensive benefits package, to include:
- Competitive Compensation
- Health Care - Medical/Dental/Vision/Prescription Drug Coverage
- 401(k) with Company Matching Contributions
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Disability Programs
- Employee & Dependent Life Insurance
- Vacation & Company Holidays
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Employee Home Purchase Rebate Program
- Home Mortgage Program
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Welcome to the Taylor Morrison, Inc. Career Portal
In order to be the best in the industry, you have to surround yourself with the best people. At Taylor Morrison, Inc., we are committed to being the best North American homebuilder as measured by our employees, customers, shareholders, and business partners.
Headquartered in Scottsdale, Arizona, Taylor Morrison Home Corporation operates in the U.S. under the Taylor Morrison and Darling Homes brands. Taylor Morrison is a builder and developer of single-family detached and attached homes serving a wide array of customers including first-time, move-up, luxury, and active adult customers. Taylor Morrison divisions operate in Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, North Carolina and Texas. Darling Homes serves move-up and luxury homebuyers in Texas. In addition, Taylor Morrison also offers home financing though Taylor Morrison Home Funding, providing professional and knowledgeable home mortgage options.
Taylor Morrison, Inc. is always looking for dedicated professionals who share our values. Please use our Career Portal to view current job openings and apply for positions online.
Thank you for considering a career with Taylor Morrison, Inc.!
For more information about Taylor Morrison please visit www.taylormorrison.com.