The Salvation Army - Southwest Division
LOCATION: Salvation Army Kroc Center - Phoenix AZ
The Lifeguard II will provide oversight to the day-to-day operations of the aquatics programs and facilities with the Aquatic Coordinator during the off season at the center. This position monitors, manages, and provides service excellence to Aquatics program participants. Lifeguards will enforce pool rules & regulations for the safety & convenience of members. This position will attend all scheduled staff meetings and management team meetings when directed by the Aquatics Coordinator. Lifeguards II will ensure all equipment assigned to the aquatic facilities is maintained and properly utilized. Employees will maintain a safe working environment reporting all harmful problems with facilities to the Aquatics Coordinator and reporting all liability injuries in a timely manner according to Salvation Army policies and procedures. The Lifeguard II position will be responsible for teaching swim lessons to preschool and school age children, levels 1-6 and aquatic exercise programs in deep and shallow water as assigned.
- Possession of current certificates in Starfish Aquatics Institute StarGuard, American Red Cross First Aid or First Aid for Public Safety Personnel (Title22) or above; CPR for the Professional Rescuer (CPR Pro), and Lifeguard Training, ACE, AFAA or ACSM. Equivalent training certificates will be accepted.
- Must possess or obtain StarGuard Swim Instructor certification within 90 days of being hired.
- Must be at least 16 years of age.
- Organize and direct activities, analyze situations and adopt a quick and effective course of action; maintain constant observation of assigned area to identify any signs of danger or distress, effectively teach aquatic skills.
- Must have a minimum of a year or more experience as a certified lifeguard.
- Meet and deal tactfully and effectively with the public; work cooperatively with others.
- Have the ability to work with children, parents, and staff in a capacity of leadership, counseling and education including but not limited to:
- Ability to relate joyfully and sensitively to children of all ages.
- Sensitivity to children’s individual needs.
- Ability to use appropriate positive discipline consistently.
- Ability to handle security and crisis situations, calmly.
Physical Requirements: Qualified individuals must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without accommodation. Must have the ability to swim with proficiency and endurance. Must successfully complete a 300-yard swim in less than 10 minutes and tread water with a brick for 5 minutes. A qualified person with a disability may request a modification or adjustment to the job or work environment in order to meet the physical requirements of the position. The Salvation Army will attempt to satisfy requests as long as the accommodation needed is reasonable and no undue hardship would result.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, stand, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and reach with hands and arms on a continuous basis. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 30 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 60 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Must have the ability to operate telephone, a desktop or laptop computer, as well as the ability to access and produce information from a computer, and to understand written information.
The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian Church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.