- Utilizes knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the lifespan to perform routine patient care in compliance with unit standards, hospital policy, nursing practice standards on all assigned patients under the general supervision of a physician, R.N., or appropriate health care professional.
- Takes and/or monitors patient's vital signs. To include temperature, pulse, respiration, blood pressure and neurological signs. Queue up prescriptions and process prior authorzations.
- Assesses patient's nutritional status, including recording of Intake and Output, recording parenteral fluids, maintaining caloric count.
- Prepares patients for all schedules routine and special treatments, Operating Room as determined by patient's needs. To be finished prior to procedure or Operating Room scheduled time.
- Develops rapport with patients and co-workers consistently, as observed by patients, co-workers, and supervisors.
- Utilizes knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the lifespan to obtain the patient assessment and plan patient care specific to each assigned patient's needs.
- Obtains complete data on Nursing History on all assigned patients and initial nursing assessment including learning needs to be started as soon as possible after admission to be completed within 8 hours.
- Ongoing assessment and response to current plan of care to include observation, reporting, recording and initiation of change in plan of care in collaboration with RN, physician on all assigned patients.
- Discharge assessment, plan of care to be done according to nursing policy on all assigned discharge patients by the end of each shift including identification of unresolved learning needs and follow up plan to facilitate resolution of such problems.
- Administers medications, including PO, SC, IM and allowed IV medications as scheduled for each assigned patient according to nursing, pharmacy policies with 100% accuracy.
- Responsible for appropriate documentation on all assigned patients.
- Receives, gives report at time of patient transfer, writes appropriate transfer note.
- Writes appropriate Nursing Progress Notes using SOAP format prior to end of each shift. If patient requires Special Care Notes, they are to be written on ongoing basis.
- Ensures orders are updated as needed.
- Initiates, updates, tracks referrals as needed.
- Books special procedures as ordered.
- Reviews and manages phone messages on prescription line; calls in prescriptions to pharmacy under direct physician supervision.
- Routes requisitions to appropriate departments/practices.
- Sends physician order sheets to Pharmacy when necessary.
- Participates in practice huddles, care planning sessions and team meetings.
- Fills out and routes patient referrals to appropriate support departments to facilitate transitions of
1. Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external).
2. Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned