Manager of Mechanical Systems
Looking for an opportunity with a dynamic, fun and goal-oriented company? Were growing quickly and were looking for some not-so-typical talent to join our team.
Progress Residential is one of the largest providers of high-quality, single-family rental homes in the United States. With more than 40,000 homes across some of the fastest-growing markets, our residents appreciate the flexibility, freedom, and convenience of living in a single-family home without the obligations of home ownership.
Progress is committed to making the home rental process easy and enjoyable for the 100,000 residents we serve by empowering our team members and investing in innovative systems and technology. Our portfolio has continued to grow substantially the past few years and we see increasing demand for professionally managed single-family rental homes and anticipate continued growth.
The Manager of Mechanical Systems will have primary responsibility for the management and expenditures for HVAC, appliances and other major home systems across the Progress portfolio. This position will be in charge of the policies governing the repair and replacement of systems as well as actively work to determine best practices to minimize the total cost of ownership for home systems. This position will report to the VP of Process Engineering and, with this, will help manage studies on efficiency and best practices for all aspects of the service/maintenance function for the organization. The intent is for the role to independently analyze ongoing spend as well as processes for service, preventative maintenance and training, working with operational leaders to evaluate efficiencies and recommend positive actions to minimize costs over time. The successful candidate will be able to undertake studies on costs, promote pathways of improvement in process and effectively execute change management in the Renovations, Turns and Service (RTS) Operations organization to oversee continuous process improvement. This newly created position will be a high-profile role with the opportunity to implement meaningful, positive operational improvement in a rapidly growing organization.
- Oversee the practices for repair, preventative maintenance and replacement of HVAC, appliances and other major home systems (i.e. water heaters, sprinklers) throughout the portfolio; initial focus will be on HVAC and will eventually expand to all major home systems
- Partner with Operations leadership to implement best practices for repair versus replace for systems
- Be the Subject Matter Expert (SME) for the home systems for the organization; with this, also be relentless in seeking ways to continue to reduce the total cost of ownership for major home systems
- Monitor reporting and KPIs on RTS operations and make proactive recommendations; work with Market level managers to understand overages and correct inefficiencies
- Perform process simulations, field observations, analysis of financial data and key performance indicators to arrive at recommendations; Use data to drive decisioning
- Support the VP Process Improvement to implement continuous process improvement on the all aspects of major homes systems maintenance
- Support Central Service Coordination in how major home systems diagnosis is handled and approve warranty and direct vend policies for major home systems repair
- Document observations and present information in relevant presentations to key stakeholders
- Develop best practices, routines and innovative solutions to improve production rates, quality of output and customer service
- Perform risk assessments and root cause analyses
- Effectively demonstrate to colleagues and stakeholders, through partnership and collaboration, how suggested process improvements will enable organizational effectiveness
Skills & Characteristics
- Background in administration of major homes systems oversight including HVAC and appliances
- While a detailed knowledge of how mechanical systems function is not initially necessary and can be gained with experience in the role, the successful applicant should demonstrate an ability to quickly grasp an understanding of how mechanical systems work with a background in analysis
- Ability to leverage past experiences and analytical abilities to understand management processes
- Ability to analyze reports and data to draw conclusions on process improvements
- Communication skills that convey and encompass a strong desire for efficiency and organization; ability to communicate complex issues in an understandable format
- Experience in solving problems and creating new systems to remove inefficiencies
- Ability to work in a cross-functional team environment
- Clear and concise oral and written communication skills and ability to author messages for different audiences
- Ability to work autonomously as well as within teams to meet goals and deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively, utilize excellent active listening skills and collaborate across divisions, functions, cultures and levels internally and externally
- Must be able to travel to markets as needed
- Bachelors degree required, a degree in a science, construction, or manufacturing preferred
- Minimum of 5 years of related experience in oversight of major home systems, maintenance, process engineering, manufacturing or service industries
- Strong technical writing skills and presentation abilities
- Excellent Excel skills and ability to learn project management software
What you can expect from us:
Progress Residential offers all the financial and non-financial incentives you would expect from an innovative real estate investment and management firm:
- In addition to outstanding training, we host quarterly summits and town hall meetings to encourage growth, knowledge sharing and a good time. After all, its about progress, not perfection.
- We offer competitive compensation, including a performance-based bonus.
- Our generous benefits package includes comprehensive healthcare coverage for you and your family, parental leave, paid time off, 9 paid holidays and much more.
This brief summary is not an all-inclusive description of job duties. Other job duties and responsibilities may also be assigned by the incumbents supervisor at any time based upon Company need.
Progress Residential is a proud Equal Opportunity employer, m/f/d/v.