Phoenix, AZ, United States
Veregy is an industry leader made up of eight engineering and energy service companies bringing energy-efficient, smart building technology, and distributed energy solutions to our markets. We believe innovation, together with award-winning service, creates long-term value for our clients.
The Payroll Manager is responsible for weekly and bi-weekly payroll for eight divisions. This position will manage full cycle payroll from employee setup to paycheck distribution for both salary and hourly employees. The Payroll Manager will also calculate taxes, file quarterly tax forms, manage multi-state payroll, and process reports per Davis Bacon payroll reporting requirements.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinates with Human Resources (HR) on employee indoctrination:
- Reviews paperwork for accuracy and completion.
- Follows up on outstanding items with employee and with hiring manager and human resources prior to first paycheck being issued.
- Reports any anomalies in the hiring process to Controller and CFO (i.e. vacation accruals, hiring bonus, etc.).
- Sets up all new employees in Vista and the timekeeping software.
- Confirms and completes all employee setups in ADP WFN module.
- Receives, reviews, and implements employee garnishments.
- Maintains employee files:
- Inputs employee status change requests.
- Manages employee tax withholding requests.
- Manages employee lists including, but not limited to, current and terminated employees.
- Manages changes in employee pay, allowances, deductions, and/or fringes during open enrollments; change in status; paycheck garnishments; and/or terminations.
- Processes employee terminations:
- Collect Personnel Action Notice (PAN) from HR.
- Terminates employee in Vista and timekeeping systems.
- Manages weekly and bi-weekly payroll runs:
- Manages the timekeeping system.
- Imports all time from timekeeping system into Vista Payroll module.
- Reviews weekly emails and requests and alters time entry or personnel records as needed.
- Generates payroll hour report.
- Makes time entry corrections as needed and/or requested.
- Generates export file for hours and rates in ERP system to import into ADP.
- Calculates payroll in ERP and ties back to WFN and submits payroll in WFN.
- Calculates and remits all weekly payroll liabilities, including but not limited to:
- H.S.A. deposits (Remit to TPA)
- 401K deferrals and company match (remit to TPA)
- Posts weekly and bi-weekly payroll
- Sets up all certified payroll projects and the appropriate work classifications and pay rates.
- Prepares, archives, and sends all certified payroll reports to contract administrator.
- Handles audits, restitution payments, and reports associated with certified payroll projects.
- Manages workflow and task assignment in payroll to ensure all payroll deadlines are met on a weekly basis,
- Authors and produces weekly reports for all organizations in ADP.
- Manages implementation of any new processes in payroll and/or ADP.
- Reviews and balances gross wages, taxes, benefit deductions, and all liability accounts to ensure accuracy.
- Reviews all quarterly and annual payroll tax returns prepared by ADP for accuracy.
- Prepares census reports as needed (health insurance renewals, 401K audit, etc.).
- Reviews and manages the W-2 process and issuance.
- Maintains confidentiality of all employee compensation and employment agreements.
- Assists and supports 401k, risk insurance, and fiscal year-end audits.
- Applies to tax agencies for state/local taxes as needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Experience managing a team.
- Strong teamwork and presentation skills.
- Knowledge of regulatory compliance (SOX, PCI, etc.).
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including with external customers.
- Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Working knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel).
- Understanding of the importance of confidentiality regarding company/affiliate information.
- Ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance. or related discipline.
- Competency in MS Office (Word, Excel) required.
- Experience with Vista by Viewpoint and ADP Workforce Now “WFN” preferred.
- Seven + years of experience in payroll administration.
- Competitive Compensation.
- Paid Holidays, Paid Sick Leave, and Paid Time Off.
- Competitive Medical, Dental and Vision Plans.
- 401k Retirement Plan with Matching Employer Contributions (%).
- Employer Sponsored Life Insurance and AD&D Insurance.
- Employer Paid Short and Long Term Disability Insurance.
- Continued Education and Trade Certification Sponsorship (Specific Positions).
- Company Branded Trucks Provided (Specific Positions).
- This position requires most of the work to be accomplished in an office environment.
- This position requires sitting for periods of time at a computer with the freedom to walk around office when necessary; occasional phone, copy machine, and other office machine use; participate in teleconferences using a headset/earpiece, and lifting to 20 lbs. as needed.
- May require some travel (10% at times).
Work authorization/security clearance requirements
- Sponsorship is not available for this position.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Veregy values diversity and is committed to building a workforce comprised of individuals with different backgrounds, experiences, and identities. Equal Employment Opportunity has been, and will continue to be, a fundamental principle at Veregy, where employment is based upon capabilities and qualifications without discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, genetic history, sexual orientation, or any other protected characteristic as established by law. We strive to create an inclusive culture that empowers individuals to thrive, try new things, and grow together as one Veregy.