Managing Director of Finance
KIPP Delta is part of the nation-wide KIPP non-profit network of 242 college-preparatory, public charter schools educating early childhood, elementary, middle, and high school students. KIPP Delta currently serves nearly 1,300 students in Helena and Blytheville, AR.
KIPP Delta seeks an experienced and knowledgeable hands-on Managing Director of Finance (MDF) who will lead and manage all budgeting, daily accounting operations, audit, compliance, and monthly/annual financial reporting for an organization with a $19MM+ annual budget.
The MDF is responsible for overseeing all financial functions and business operations at KIPP Delta. In doing so, the MDF is charged with refining and executing on the strategic financial vision for the organization and managing a team to sustain efficiency in all aspects of finance, accounting, and grants management. These duties also include processing payroll and securing loans as needed.
KDPS leaders make decisions, conduct difficult conversations, and build highly collaborative teams, all while shaping a joyful organizational culture. Self-reflective and humble, our leaders are open to feedback and committed to continuously improving. The Managing Director of Finance is hired, supported, and evaluated by the Executive Director. Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Support the development of a strategic financial plan reflecting educational priorities and sustainability.
- Lead the annual budget and forecast processes.
- Refine and maintain financial models with input from senior leadership that will inform both near term and long-term decision making by school and regional leaders.
- Support the acquisition and planning for new facilities, vehicles, and sizeable equipment and technology, determining cost-effective solutions related to the expansion of the region.
Management and Leadership
- Manage and develop competencies of the regional finance team members.
- Serve as a thought-partner to school and regional leaders in all aspects of financial decision-making through strong budgeting processes, financial reporting, and analysis.
- Support KIPP Delta directors and managers with the training, tools, and supervision needed to effectively manage financial operations within their department or school.
- Supervise and execute on organizational-wide financial policies and accounting practices to ensure continuous compliance in all aspects of financial reporting.
- Ensure high levels of customer service to internal and external stakeholders.
- Support the execution of setting compensation for new and returning hires.
- Liaise with Finance Committee and larger Board members on all finance matters.
- Maintain a nuanced understanding of laws and regulations pertaining to school finance and business operations in Arkansas.
- Make recommendations for policy changes as needed.
- Maintain a comprehensive and accurate system of accounting policies and procedures.
- Ensure forms, templates, and one-pagers stay updated as needed.
- Provide training on new or evolving policies as needed.
Finance and Accounting Management
- Oversee the month-end and year-end closing process.
- Ensure the day-to-day financial activities are completed accurately, timely, and in compliance with state and federal rules.
- Maintain a well-documented system of accounting policies and procedures consistent with GAAP, GASB, and/or FASB as applicable for an Arkansas non-profit public school as prescribed in the Arkansas Financial Handbook.
- Manage cash collection procedures and ensure policy adherence.
- Oversee credit card processes, including balance availability, limit increases, fraudulent activity, issues and/or problems.
- Manage the accounting system, eFinance; accounts payable system, AvidXchange; and time management system, SwipeClock; and ensure it is meeting the needs of the organization.
- Ensure acceptable cash balances in each bank account and make transfers as needed.
- Provide training to end users on KIPP Deltas financial and time keeping systems and accounting policies and procedures, chart of accounts, etc.
- Manage the annual financial audit and 990 tax process.
- Process adjustments and other journal entries as needed.
- Maintain the chart of accounts.
- Maintain and manage fixed assets in financial system.
- Maintain a system of controls over accounting transactions.
- Research and resolve transaction errors and re-class as needed.
- Manage inter-organizational transfers and reporting.
- Review accounts payable and accounts receivable batches prior to posting and processing
- Ensure monthly payroll entries and adjustments, salary allocations, and payroll/ benefits/ATRS/payroll tax import and journal entries are complete and accurate.
- Review and verify late start, transition, payout, and FMLA worksheets.
- Approve payroll before submission by Payroll Consultant.
- Ensure the active employee list ties to the active budget.
- Manage annual processing of W-2s and 1095s in coordination with Payroll Consultant and Finance/HR Assistant.
- Process quarterly filings such as 941s and Employment Security reports
Audit and Compliance
- Actively monitor encumbered grants and work with entities to ensure maximum benefit for students.
- Coordinate the provision of information to external auditors and ensure accuracy of data and information for the annual audit.
- Record the minutes of Finance Committee meetings and make available according to regulations.
- Conduct periodic internal audits to ensure compliance with cash, grant accounting, and accounts payable/receivable policies and procedures.
- Manage commercial banking relationships and monitor cash and debt levels.
- Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings.
- Safeguard assets and ensure accurate and timely recording of all transactions by implementing disciplines of internal audits, controls and checks across all departments.
- Ensure bank reconciliations, financial reports, and state required information is accurate and submitted timely to external stakeholders.
- Review budget variances and report significant issues to management.
- Create and manage various financial reports to assist with budget and grant analyses.
- Conduct financial analyses as needed.
- Create and submit Cycle Reports 8, 9, and 1 to Arkansas Department of Education (ADE).
- Provide assistance with other mandated state reports.
Grants Management and Administration
- Assist in grant reporting and provide information and backup documentation as needed.
- Work with team and school-based staff to track spending against restricted grants to ensure maximum benefit and appropriate spending.
- Ensure capital loan and grant reporting is accurate and meets the needs of the internal and external stakeholders.
- Ensure correct coding and entries.
- Be responsive to ADE financial requests and provide support to the Executive Director.
- Manage Child Nutrition Director.
- Provide oversight of child nutrition program.
- Assist the Child Nutrition Director with submission of monthly claim and reporting.
- Build strong teams characterized by trust, investment in goals, and ownership.
- Manage and develop competencies of the regional operations team members.
- Support KIPP Delta directors and managers with the training, tools, and supervision needed to effectively manage operations within their department or school.
- Manage the creation and implementation of professional growth plans and performance improvement plans for operations team members.
- Identify high-potential talent and develop accordingly; support and manage the growth and capacity building of next-ready leaders to increase bench depth
- Conduct weekly one-on-one meetings with assigned staff.
- Use data to drive the continuous improvement of professional development.
Educational Equity and Inclusion
- Support the KIPP Delta Public Schools vision for academic excellence and critical consciousness, so that our students have "access to pursue the path they choose."
- Engage with "love, faith, and humility" towards ALL members of our community.
- Regularly do the foundational work of learning and understanding the original dehumanization of African Americans and how the laws and policies created through this process resulted in systemic racism for the purpose of white supremacy and the cultural rules and norms of white supremacy and anti-blackness.
- Commit to develop a working knowledge of internalized racism and how and why educated, intelligent and dynamic BIPOC may produce a fear response in both white and other BIPOC peoples and how to respond and support others if/when this phenomenon occurs.
- Work to ensure students, staff and families of all identity groups are full participants in decisions that shape the district.
- Commit to working with families as equals, co-educators, learners and decision makers.
- All other duties as assigned.
KIPP Delta offers competitive salary and benefits packages commensurate with experience.
As an equal opportunity employer, KIPP Delta does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, or any other basis made unlawful by applicable federal, state, or local laws or regulations.