Lone Star Family Health
Medical Assistant (Conroe)
The Medical Assistant provides direct patient care to patients of Lone Star Family Health Center.
Standard hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following.
- Ensures safety and cleanliness of the environment. Ensures supplies are adequate.
- Performs pre-visit planning, initiates screening protocols, identifies tests and vaccines that are due per UDS measures and CDC immunization guidelines
- Prepares patients for examination; obtains vital signs, records reason for visit and history, performs medication reconciliation, verifies allergies, pharmacy and recent ER visits or hospital stays.
- Performs blood draws, heed sticks, waived tests and quality testing for waived tests after verifying accuracy of order and patient identification.
- Prepares and labels laboratory specimens completely per policy guidelines.
- Monitors patient flow in and out of clinic and communicates delays and expectations to medical providers and patients.
- Facilitates continuity of care for patients and/or family with members of the health care team through scheduling appointments, phone contact, verbal interaction, written reports and/or electronic messaging.
- Assists with medication fills, obtaining DME, and referrals.
- Chaperones for procedures such as breast or pelvic exams, and testicle checks for well child visits and sports physicals.
- Gathers instruments and materials as appropriate for procedures needed at the visit, assists the medical provider as requested.
- Cleans and prepares instruments for sterilization using standard precautions. Follows policy for autoclave.
- Adheres to infection control practices; hand hygiene, use of PPE, instrument and environment cleaning, biohazard waste disposal and safe injection techniques. Maintains accurate patient medical records.
- Assists the medical provider with translation and sending out patient communications.
Bilingual English and Spanish.
High School diploma or general education degree (GED).
Graduate of a Medical Assistant program.