St. Joseph Medical Center
Mental Health Technician, Part Time (7a-7p-Day Shift)- Advanced Medical Detox
Mental Health Technician- Center for Behavioral Health (Advanced Medical Detox)
We believe our people are our strength and we take our employees health seriously. From medical coverage and life insurance to retirement plans, paid time off and much more, Steward Health Care provides you with a variety of benefits to address your unique needs.
Retirement & Savings
- Low cost parking
- Up to 20% employee discount-Gift shop, onsite Caf and Cafeteria
St. Joseph Medical Center is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment with confidence and without fear.
Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience:
- Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible.
- Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families.
- Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients.
- A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital.
- A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety.
You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.
We are currently seeking for an experienced Mental Health Technician in Behavioral Health (Advanced Medical Detox).
2nd Floor (Advanced Medical Detox)
St. Joseph Medical Center has partnered with Matthews Hope Detox and Recovery Program (MHDRP) to introduce a voluntary 22-bed advanced hospital-based drug and alcohol detoxification program with a unique Inpatient Recovery and Aftercare model. Our clinical staff will work closely with MHDRP therapists other detox support staff to provide a three-tier approach of healing patients minds, bodies and spirits. Our mission is to take a collective medical, wellness, and spiritual approach for healing the mind, body and spirit in evidence-based ways.
Many people who suffer from substance use disorder may have various degrees of medical conditions such as heart, kidney and liver damage, and because we are a Hospital Based Program, if any of these conditions exist, MHDRP'S team of skilled medical staff are there to help and treat them.
JOB SUMMARY: Under the direct supervision of the Registered Nurse, assists in the provision of basic nursing care to mental health patients, and maintains a safe and clean environment.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Consistently supports the hospitals Spirit of Serving Standards, in line with the Mission, Vision and values of St. Joseph Medical Center.
2. Follows the guidelines related to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), designed to prevent or detect unauthorized disclosure of Protected Health Information (PHI).
3. Promotes a culture of safety for patients and Associates through proper identification, proper reporting, documentation and prevention of medical errors in a non-punitive environment.
4. Make environmental rounds with incoming shift daily. Responsible for environmental log sheet. Keep patient room unit environment neat and orderly.
5. Takes vital sign and blood sugar as ordered. Responsible for reporting abnormal readings to charge nurse. Responsible for documenting vital signs in the medical record.
6. Monitors hallways according to Behavioral Department guidelines; make rounds every 15 minutes with close attention to special precautions.
7. Maintains safety in milieu by staying on the unit and engaging patient in a therapeutic interaction or activity, especially during free time.
8. Search patient belongings and do visual body search on admission, using the wand. Responsible for documentation of patient valuables and belongings.
9. Reports to Registered Nurse any observed changes in behavior or condition of patients and unusual incidents.
10. Responds effectively with a patient at the defensive level with a directive approach by setting limits, making sure limits are clear, simple and enforceable.
a. Limit setting should be done objectively and in a non-threatening manner.
b. Understand and execute de-escalation for potential acting out behavior.
11. Understand and execute seclusion/restraint guideline; is aware of patient rights related to these emergency situations.
12. Provides and assists with safety for patients and peers when performing 1:1 for the assault risk patients by placing themselves between the assigned patient and his peers at all times.
13. Daily assessment of patient needs and ADL; assists as needed.
14. Prepare patients for meals, check for correct tray, serve and assist with meals and snacks.
15. Transports patient to/from various departments. Collects and transports specimens to the correct department as needed.
16. Initiates or assists basic life support when needed.
17. Utilize appropriate tone, volume and cadence in all interactions.
18. Supportive of the compliance program set forth by IASIS and demonstrated by:
- Upholds the IASIS Standards of Conduct and Corporate Compliance.
- Adheres to and helps to enforce all compliance policies relevant to his/her area
- Assures timely compliance education as requested by the Regional Compliance & Safety Officer and/or through corporate initiatives.
19. Sets an example to all staff in their daily activities.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- At least two years of experience working with mental health patients.
- American Heart Association Healthcare Provider Basic Life Support (BLS) certification required.
- CPI (Non-Violent Crisis Intervention Training Program) certification required within 30 days of hire
EDUCATION & TRAINING:
- High school graduate or G.E.D.
- Technical, critical thinking, and interpersonal skills relevant to Behavioral Medicine in order to effectively communicate with physicians, team members, patients and families.
- Able to communicate effectively, in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Basic computer knowledge.
- Must demonstrate a caring and friendly attitude towards patients and customers.
- Demonstrates good body mechanics and lifting techniques.
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of preventive management of aggressive behavior.
- Understands impact of laws affecting mental health care.
For physical demands of position, including vision, hearing, repetitive motion and environment, see following description.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position without compromising client care.
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.