Tucson, AZ, United States
Network Engineer (4719 - ITD - Technical Support Engineer)
This position, with on-call shifts, is located in the Information Technology Department.
Salary Grade: 60
The Pima County Information Technology Department is seeking a Network Engineer. The working environment is highly team-oriented, technical, self-motivated, and meticulous. Communication skills are critical. The architecture includes a high-performance core and data center environment built on leading-edge networking and security. The work involves everything needed to support reliable and efficient networking service for public-facing applications and staff in multiple departments across dozens of locations. Responsibilities include designing, implementing, monitoring, and troubleshooting networks and related security solutions. You will work closely with teammates and users to identify solutions and resolve issues, and will also be involved in hardware and software upgrades. This position participates in the on-call rotation and off-hours maintenance. We offer an opportunity to utilize your skills, build new ones, work in a team environment and advance your career in a rewarding domain. You bring enthusiasm, professionalism, and a desire to get better every day, as well as to make a difference in your community by supporting the mission of Pima County Government. In applying for this position, pay particular attention to the Preferred Qualifications at the end of this posting, addressing each qualification in your application.A resume is required and must be uploaded with completed application.
Please Note: Successful candidates offered employment with Pima County, including current employees who have applied for new positions, are required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination prior to their scheduled start date. If you are unable to become fully vaccinated due to a medical disability or religious observance/practice, you must request an accommodation - accommodation forms are located online. Duties/Responsibilities
(Work assignments may vary depending on the department's need and will be communicated to the applicant or incumbent by the supervisor.)
Operational and Client Management
Leads and participates in the transition of new systems into production status through final approval of production control process (PCP) documentation;
Leads and participates in the installation, configuration, troubleshooting and maintenance of the computing or communications installed client environment;
Assists in the development and implementation of system administration policies, procedures, guidelines and standards;
Assists in defining appropriate service level objectives (SLO) for the computing and/or communications center;
Assists in the implementation of SLO measurement criteria and methods to extract performance data to enable SLO reporting;
Participates in forecasting computing/communications growth and provides pro-active capacity management;
Assists in the disposal of obsolete client and computing/communications center equipment;
Assists in client license compliance;
Assists in maintaining an up-to-date client software environment through periodic patch installations;
Assists in maintaining a virus free client environment through active deployment of virus cleansing programs/applications;
Leads continuous improvement efforts in the computing and/or communications center environment.
Engineering & Maintenance
Assists in the installation, configuration, troubleshooting and maintenance of computing and/or communications center infrastructure and associated documentation;
Assists in the resolution of client services and center related problems;
Assists with the implementation of vendor supplied upgrades and patches;
Assists in the set-up and on-going maintenance of disaster recovery and capacity planning requirements;
Assists with the set-up and on-going maintenance of record retention requirements.
Functions as the project leader/manager on small to medium projects;
Assists in the planning and implementation of the IT computing and/or communications center business plan;
Assists in delivery of critical computing and/or communications center capabilities to meet application and internal technical infrastructure needs;
Participates on various Group Technical Infrastructure teams to drive standardization and strategic implementations;
Interfaces with vendors for on-going life cycle maintenance and support activities.
May supervise and evaluate performance of assigned staff;
Analyzes, evaluates and coordinates resolution and implementation of specific critical computing and/or communications center components within the IT support environment;
Leads development of critical computing and/or communications center and/or IT support components to enhance service delivery and support to customer base.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- desktop or other operating systems and affiliated software components, services, protocols and technologies, which may include office automation applications (e.g., Excel, Visio, Word, PowerPoint) and other vendor commercial applications interfaced into client computing and communications environment; or
- wireless communications equipment such as fixed, portable and mobile radio devices, dispatch console equipment, as well as related radio system and remote site control equipment with working knowledge of FCC rules, regulations and technical standards;
- security standards and procedures within Pima County;
- IT Infrastructure Library for the Incident and Problem Management environment;
- hand held communication devices (e.g., Blackberries, radios), other affiliated devices and email messaging/data synchronization applications and procedures;
- voice and data services devices;
- computing or communications architectures and affiliated hardware components and technologies including networking, modems, monitors, projection devices and other peripheral devices, to include desktop computing, printer and other peripheral device driver, connectivity configurations and administration utilities (e.g., Microsoft SMS etc);
- client computing and communications hardware and software infrastructure related Security technologies and alternative marketplace solutions utilized for departmental and enterprise solutions to include some of the following:
- Exchange / Citrix / IIS, Windows Server and Active Directory, Enterprise backup and redundancy;
- multi-layer switch network and MPLS network design, traffic engineering and management, to include VOIP;
- digital microwave equipment, antenna combining equipment, bi-directional amplifiers, tower top amplifiers;
- principles and techniques of effective supervision.
- organizing workload, being proactive and managing a wide variety of customer requests simultaneously;
- written, verbal and interpersonal communications;
- operating within a fast paced, highly technical environment;
- writing procedures and work instructions;
- operating as a member of a team;
- employing quality skill sets and diagnostic tools;
- being resourceful, self-managed, customer focused and demonstrated ability to maintain a solid understanding of client computing and communications deployment, configuration, upgrade and integration concepts;
- coordinating and communicating with internal and external customers/vendors;
- employing diagnostic, analytical and conceptual skills with detailed orientation;
- leading individual employees and work teams.
(1) A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college, university, or technical trade school with a major in computer science, computer engineering, management information systems (MIS), or a closely related field as determined by the appointing authority at the time of recruitment and four years of work experience in the maintenance and administration of client computing or communications hardware and software infrastructure.
(2) An Associate's degree from an accredited college, university, or technical trade school with a major in computer science, computer engineering, management information systems (MIS), or a closely related field as determined by the appointing authority at the time of recruitment and six years of work experience in information technology including four years of experience in the maintenance and administration of client computing or communications hardware and software infrastructure.
(Additional relevant work experience and/or education from an accredited college, university, or technical trade school may be substituted.)
Qualifying education and experience must be clearly documented in the "Education" and Work Experience" sections of the application. Do not substitute a resume for your application or write "see resume" on your application.
Preferred Qualifications: (Be specific in describing your experience in your application. Ensure the descriptions provided illustrate your competencies, specifically addressing the required and preferred qualifications.):
- Resume attached to supplement the job application.
- Experience implementing and maintaining network and security solutions in an enterprise environment.
- Experience working with and troubleshooting Cisco routing, switching, and wireless LAN solutions.
- Experience implementing and leading enterprise networking projects.
- Experience working with fiber infrastructure in an enterprise environment.
- Experience creating network design proposals and documentation using Microsoft Office tools and Microsoft Visio.
Pima County Human Resources Department reserves the right to admit to the selection process only those candidates that meet the minimum/desired qualifications. All applications will be assessed based on an evaluation of the listed education and experience. Candidates meeting the minimum/desired qualifications may be further evaluated/scored against any advertised Preferred Qualifications. The hiring authority will interview and select the successful candidates from a referral list provided by Human Resources. Additional assessments/testing may be required as part of the selection process. Supplemental Information
Licenses and Certificates: Some positions may require appropriate licenses or certifications at time of appointment or within a specified timeframe (e.g., A+, MCDST, MCITP, MCSA). Valid driver license is required at time of application. Valid AZ driver license is required at time of appointment. The successful applicant will be subject to a 39-month DOT Motor Vehicle Record review to determine applicants suitability to operate county vehicles in accordance with Pima County administrative procedures. Failure to obtain and maintain the required licenses and certifications shall be grounds for termination. Any offer of employment resulting from this recruitment is contingent upon Fleet Services review and approval of the candidates driving record.
Special Notice Items: Department of Labor regulation CFR Part 1910.1030 requires notification that some positions in this category may have a moderate risk of exposure to blood-borne pathogens. Hepatitis B vaccine will be provided. Some positions will be required to work rotating shifts which includes days, evenings, nights, weekends and holidays. Some positions may require satisfactory completion of a personal background investigation, polygraph examination and/or pre/post-appointment drug-testing by law enforcement agencies due to need for access to law enforcement, corrections or court facilities, property and associated confidential and sensitive information, documents, communications and data base systems. The County requires pre-employment background checks. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include verification of work history, education and criminal conviction history. A prior criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify a candidate from employment with the County.
Physical/Sensory Requirements: All positions require the ability to identify industry-standard color-coding of electrical wiring and components. Some positions require lifting equipment, climbing, working on elevated towers or below-grade platforms. Other physical and sensory abilities will be determined by position. Successful candidates offered employment with Pima County, including current employees who have applied for new positions, are required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination prior to their scheduled start date. If you are unable to become fully vaccinated due to a medical disability or religious observance/practice, you must request an accommodation - accommodation forms are located online.