This position, with rotating days and shifts to include evenings, midnights, weekends, and holidays, is located in the Information Technology Department.
Salary Grade: 48
Salary is 5% less during trainee period: $21.96/hourly
Starting salary after successful completion of Trainee period (up to 24 months) is $23.12/hourly.
(Work assignments may vary depending on the department's need and will be communicated to the applicant or incumbent by the supervisor.)
Client Environment Support
Captures and records actions taken in Service Desk system following Service Desk procedures;
Analyzes and resolves client operational issues related to client applications, computing or communications environment, and related software/hardware;
Provides training, technical support, and consultation to users and other IT staff as required;
Provides technical and user training information to staff, users, consultants, and vendors regarding installed software and hardware;
Assists technical application, computing, and communications personnel, as appropriate in identifying and resolving problems through the use of installed diagnostic and monitoring tools;
Monitors IT infrastructure and application components for proper operation within established performance, function, and availability expectations to achieve service level agreements;
Maintains appropriate security and confidentiality of information created or encountered in the performance of assigned duties.
Operational Environment Support
Executes daily, weekly, monthly, and other periodic scheduled jobs;
Schedules and generates production runs and special reports;
Analyzes and resolves operational problems and consults or informs appropriate staff when assistance is required;
Assists in troubleshooting application and computing and/or communications issues;
Performs and completes routine maintenance, production records, activity logs, and other routine documentation;
Operates various data center and/or other peripheral equipment;
Maintains and/or performs backups and/or restores following associated off-site storage management procedures;
Maintains inventories of supplies and equipment, and may move supplies and equipment where required.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- desktop or other operating systems and affiliated software components, services, protocols, and technologies, to include office automation applications (e.g., Excel, Visio, Word, PowerPoint) and other vendor commercial applications interfaced into client computing and communications environment;
- wireless communications equipment such as fixed, portable, and mobile radio devices, dispatch console equipment, as well as related radio system and remote site control equipment;
- wireless, voice and data services devices, and data synchronization applications;
- techniques and principles of effective teamwork and continuous improvement methods;
- IT Infrastructure Library for the Incident Management environment.
- organizing personal workload, being proactive, and progressing multiple tasks and customer requests simultaneously;
- communicating both orally and in writing;
- operating within a fast paced technical environment;
- writing procedures and work instructions;
- adhering to production processes and service level agreements;
- learning new or disparate technology processes within the environment;
- operating as a member of a team;
- coordinating and communicating with internal and external customers/vendors.
High School diploma or G.E.D. equivalent and two years of experience working in an information technology-related field providing any combination of the following: customer-facing technical support, communications hardware/software support, computer hardware/software support, and/or working in a technical call center or technical help desk environment. (Relevant experience/education from an accredited college, university, or trade school may be substituted.)Qualifying education and experience must be clearly documented in the "Education" and Work Experience" sections of the application. Do not substitute a resume for your application or write "see resume" on your application.
Preferred Qualifications: (Be specific in describing your experience in your application. Ensure the descriptions provided illustrate your competencies, specifically addressing the required and preferred qualifications.):
- Experience in a help desk, service desk, or call center environment.
- Experience providing customer-facing technical assistance and/or support for issues related to computer systems, software, or hardware.
- Experience providing support for Active Directory, Exchange, or shared files/folders.
- Experience providing support for Microsoft Windows 10 Operating Systems.
- Experience monitoring daily performance of computer systems or infrastructure.
Pima County Human Resources Department reserves the right to admit to the selection process only those candidates that meet the minimum/desired qualifications. All applications will be assessed based on an evaluation of the listed education and experience. Candidates meeting the minimum/desired qualifications may be further evaluated/scored against any advertised Preferred Qualifications. The hiring authority will interview and select the successful candidates from a referral list provided by Human Resources. Additional assessments/testing may be required as part of the selection process. Supplemental Information
Licenses and Certificates: Valid driver license is required at time of application. Valid AZ driver license is required at time of appointment. The successful applicant will be subject to a 39-month DOT Motor Vehicle Record review to determine applicants suitability to operate county vehicles in accordance with Pima County administrative procedures. Failure to obtain and maintain the required licenses and certifications shall be grounds for termination. Any offer of employment resulting from this recruitment is contingent upon Fleet Services review and approval of the candidates driving record.
Special Notice Items: Some positions may require the mandatory use of a headset while on duty. Some positions will be required to work rotating shifts which include days, evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays. Some positions may require satisfactory completion of a personal background investigation, polygraph examination, and/or pre-/post-appointment drug-testing by law enforcement agencies due to need for access to law enforcement, corrections or court facilities, property, and associated confidential and sensitive information, documents, communications and database systems. The County requires pre-employment background checks. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include verification of work history, education, and criminal conviction history. A prior criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify a candidate from employment with the County.
The Pima County Trainee Program provides training related to the basic knowledge, skills, and abilities required by the classification to enable the Trainee to meet the minimum qualifications of the classification within the time limits of the program. The Trainee Program lasts a minimum of 6 months and a maximum of 24 months. During the trainee period, the incumbent is paid 5 percent less than the entry-level salary for the position. An eligible individual is any person interested in a Trainee Program opportunity who: (1) Does not meet the minimum qualification at the time it is announced but is able to do so by the end of the training period OR (2) does meet the minimum qualifications but is not competitive enough to pass selective criteria. Trainees are eligible for a non-competitive transition into the regular classified position upon successful completion of the program. Trainees are at-will employees during the training period. For specific details, refer to the Pima County Trainee Program Administrative Procedure 23-18.
Physical/Sensory Requirements: Some positions require lifting equipment, climbing, working on towers, and elevated or below-grade platforms. All positions require the ability to identify industry standard color-coding of electrical wiring and components. Additional physical and sensory abilities will be determined by position.