Network Operations Center (NOC) Tech (4701 - IT - Service Support Specialist)
This position, with rotating days & shifts (to include evening, midnights, weekends and holidays), is in the Information Technology Department.
Salary Grade: 48
This position is in the Network Operations Center (NOC) of Pima County Information Technology Department (ITD). The NOC Tech is responsible for the monitoring of systems and application components for operation within established performance standards. NOC Techs are required to take appropriate action when systems fall outside those standards including the communication of the issue to senior County staff. They are a first point of contact for Pima County employees needing technical assistance with computer hardware, software, peripherals, file/folder access and more. The NOC Tech collects information on requests/issues and works with the customer or other teams to resolve the problem or request. This position uses installed monitoring and diagnostic tools in the performance of it's responsibilities. In some cases, they provide training on the appropriate use of County technology. Important in this position is the ability to communicate, assimilate information, analyze problems, follow documented procedures/KB articles and carry out an appropriate course of action. Great customer service skills and ability to work in a fast-paced environment are also important. Successful background check and ACJIS Certification required. The NOC operates 24 x 7 x 365. This position will be assigned a shift which may include days, evenings, nights, weekends and holidays. It includes shift differential pay for certain assigned shifts.
(Work assignments may vary depending on the department's need and will be communicated to the applicant or incumbent by the supervisor.)
Client Environment Support
Captures and records actions taken in Service Desk system following Service Desk procedures;
Analyzes and resolves client operational issues related to client applications, computing or communications environment and related software/hardware;
Provides training, technical support, and consultation to users and other IT staff as required;
Provides technical and user training information to staff, users, consultants, and vendors regarding installed software and hardware;
Assists technical application, computing and communications personnel, as appropriate in identifying and resolving problems through the use of installed diagnostic and monitoring tools;
Monitors IT infrastructure and application components for proper operation within established performance, function and availability expectations to achieve service level agreements;
Maintains appropriate security and confidentiality of information created or encountered in the performance of assigned duties.
Operational Environment Support
Executes daily, weekly, monthly and other periodic scheduled jobs;
Schedules and generates production runs and special reports;
Analyzes and resolves operational problems and consults or informs appropriate staff when assistance is required;
Assists in trouble shooting application and computing and/or communications issues;
Performs and completes routine maintenance, production records, activity logs and other routine documentation;
Operates various data center and/or other peripheral equipment;
Maintains and/or performs backups and/or restores following associated off-site storage management procedures;
Maintains inventories of supplies and equipment, and may move supplies and equipment where required.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- desktop or other operating systems and affiliated software components, services, protocols and technologies, to include office automation applications (e.g., Excel, Visio, Word, PowerPoint) and other vendor commercial applications interfaced into client computing and communications environment;
- wireless communications equipment such as fixed, portable and mobile radio devices, dispatch console equipment, as well as related radio system and remote site control equipment;
- wireless, voice and data services devices and data synchronization applications;
- techniques and principles of effective teamwork and continuous improvement methods;
- IT Infrastructure Library for the Incident Management environment.
- organizing personal workload, being proactive and progressing multiple tasks andcustomer requests simultaneously;
- communicating both orally and in writing;
- operatingwithin a fast paced technical environment;
- writingprocedures and work instructions;
- adhering to production processes and service level agreements;
- learning new or disparate technology processes within the environment;
- operating as a member of a team;
- coordinating and communicating with internal and external customers/vendors.
(1) A High School diploma or G.E.D. and four years of work experience in an information technology related field including at least two years of work experience providing support on client computing and/or communications hardware and/or software infrastructure.
(2) An Associate's degree from an accredited college, university or technical trade school with a major in computer science, computer engineering, management information systems (MIS) or a closely related field and two years of work experience in an information technology related field, including one year of work experience providing support on client computing and/or communications hardware and/or software infrastructure.
(Additional relevant work experience and/or education from an accredited college, university or technical trade school may be substituted for the general experience.)
Qualifying education and experience must be clearly documented in the "Education" and Work Experience" sections of the application. Do not substitute a resume for your application or write "see resume" on your application.
Preferred Qualifications: (Be specific in describing your experience in your application. Ensure the descriptions provided illustrate your competencies, specifically addressing the required and preferred qualifications.):
- One (1) year experience as a help desk, service desk or computer technician.
- One (1) year experience troubleshooting Windows 10 Client Operating Systems.
- One (1) year experience providing customer facing technical assistance and/or support for issues related to computer systems, software or hardware.
- One (1) year experience monitoring daily performance of computer systems and infrastructure.
- One (1) year experience providing support in Active Directory, Exchange or files/shared folders.
- One (1) year experience in a customer service environment.
Pima County Human Resources Department reserves the right to admit to the selection process only those candidates that meet the minimum/desired qualifications. All applications will be assessed based on an evaluation of the listed education and experience. Candidates meeting the minimum/desired qualifications may be further evaluated/score against any advertised Preferred Qualifications. The hiring authority will interview and select the successful candidates from a referral list provided by Human Resources. Additional assessments/testing may be required as part of the selection process. Supplemental Information
Licenses and Certificates: Valid driver license is required at time of application. Valid AZ driver license is required at time of appointment. The successful applicant will be subject to a 39-month DOT Motor Vehicle Record review to determine applicants suitability to operate county vehicles in accordance with Pima County administrative procedures. Failure to obtain and maintain the required licenses and certifications shall be grounds for termination. Any offer of employment resulting from this recruitment is contingent upon Fleet Services review and approval of the candidates driving record.
Special Notice Items: Some positions may require the mandatory use of a headset while on duty. Some positions will be required to work rotating shifts which includes days, evenings, nights, weekends and holidays. The County requires pre-employment background checks. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include verification of work history, education and criminal conviction history. A prior criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify a candidate from employment with the County.
Physical/Sensory Requirements: Some positions require lifting equipment, climbing, working on towers, elevated or below grade platforms. All positions require the ability to identify industry standard color-coding of electrical wiring and components. Additional physical and sensory abilities will be determined by position.