Office Specialist - Insurance
Arizona State University
Department Name: ASUHS Insurance
The Office Specialist coordinates, processes, and schedules medical referrals for a variety of medical specialists for our patients as requested electronically by our providers. This job requires clinical knowledge and understanding of CPT and ICD-9 codes. As an integral member of the health care team, the Office Specialist manages a high volume of referrals and pre-authorizations for multiple providers in multiple locations, and also collaborates with other clinical referral specialists, providers, and MA’s. This position requires the use of clinical judgment and initiative to determine the best approach for both urgent and non-urgent patient care needs.
$20.19 per hour
- Prepares and processes all referral paperwork, gathers pertinent information as needed via Electronic Medical
- Records or from the providers, contacts various clinics and facilities to obtain information to accurately complete the referral request
- May schedule specialty appointments directly on behalf of the patient
- Utilizes EMR functions to document all pertinent information
- Organizes and prioritizes workload based on acuity
- Maintains confidentiality by following all applicable HIPAA regulations
- Utilizes excellent telephone etiquette and customer service skills
- Maintains knowledge of the health care industry, and is a detail-oriented team member who demonstrates enthusiasm and has a caring commitment to the patient and their unique circumstances
- Process prior authorizations for medications
Work hours: Monday- Friday, 8:00am- 5:00pm, 40 hours per week.
Three (3) years of office/clerical experience, which includes one (1) year in a directly related function; OR,Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Health care/front office experience
- Experience scheduling referrals in a clinical setting
- Demonstrated knowledge of medical terminology
- Experience with computer and typing skills
- Experience with “Point and Click” or equivalent Electronic Medical Records system
- Evidence of effective communication skills
- Experience with customer service skills
- Communicate effectively
- Use computers effectively including inputting, reviewing and retrieving information, extended periods of viewing screen, and using mouse and keyboard
- Work in an office setting and use office equipment (e.g. scanners, printers, copiers, fax machines, telephones)
- Sit or stand for extended periods of time
The mission of the ASU Health Services is to provide high-quality health care that is accessible, affordable and compassionate in order to ensure the well-being and educational success of students at Arizona State University. Through our internal and external academic partners, the ASU Health Services faculty and staff are an integral part of the New American University. ASU Health Services is a member of the Mayo Clinic Care Network. ASU Health Services is fully accredited by the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care. ASU Health Services facilities are beautiful, modern, efficient, and utilize an electronic health record (Point & Click). ASU Health Services works with our other wellness departments to create a healthy campus model and our physicians and nurse practitioners play a key role working with student leaders.
We are a coordinated group, practicing medicine with staff board certified physicians (with specialties in family
medicine, internal medicine, emergency medicine, sports medicine, rheumatology, and adolescent medicine) and
board-certified nurse practitioners. To learn more about Health Services, please visit our website at http://students.asu.edu/health.
Arizona State University offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes valuable employee benefits to
enhance the total compensation of its staff. This package includes:
- Tuition Reduction Program for staff members, their spouses, and dependents, available on day one.
- Low-cost health, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits available on day one.
- Retirement program designed to promote long-term savings and provide income upon retirement.
- Paid time for volunteer and professional development.
- Wellness program for preventative health education and screenings.
- Disability and leave program for income protection.
- Employee assistance for free and confidential behavioral health services.
For more benefits information, please visit: http://cfo.asu.edu/hr-benefitsenrollment.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU PD at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/az-resources.
Employment Verification Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Fingerprint Check Statement
This position is considered safety/security sensitive and will include a fingerprint check. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the fingerprint check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
To view full description or to apply please click this link:
Office Specialist - Insurance | Arizona State University (brassring.com)