The Salvation Army - Southwest Division
Las Vegas, NV
Operation Home Housing Specialist
Location: The Salvation Army - Palomino Lane
Status: Non-Exempt; FT
The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian Church. Its ministry is motivated by love for God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and meet human needs in his name without discrimination.
The Salvation Army in Las Vegas is looking to fill a Housing Specialist position in the Operation Home unit. The successful candidate for this position will have experience working with homeless/at risk clients and have a proficiency with Microsoft Office software. This position is benefit eligible and comes with vacation, sick, health, vision, life insurance, and more.
The Housing Specialist will assist clients with the housing search process, including helping clients identify suitable housing options, accompanying clients to view units, advocating for clients with landlords, and helping clients with paperwork. This position will serve as a housing resource for case managers by researching private market landlord availability and supportive housing program options. This employee will provide lease negotiation services to landlords and participants as well as case direct case management services to homeless and at-risk clients and their families.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Services, Public or Business Administration or related discipline. Minimum four years of related employment experience may be substituted for degree requirements.
- Experience working with homeless and/or at-risk clients and families preferred.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Software (Word, Excel, Outlook etc.)
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with a diverse group of residents, staff and community partners.
- Must have a valid Driver License, clean driving record and own registered and insured vehicle for client visits. Mileage reimbursement will be provided and company vehicle will be available for any transporting of clients.
- Must be able to successfully complete a criminal background check
Qualified individuals must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without accommodation. A qualified person with a disability may request a modification or adjustment to the job or work environment in order to meet the physical requirements of the position. The Salvation Army will attempt to satisfy requests as long as the accommodation needed is reasonable and no undue hardship would result.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, stand, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and reach with hands and arms on a continuous basis. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 20 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to focus. The employee must have the ability to operate a telephone, desktop or laptop computer, as well as the ability to access and produce information from a computer, and to understand written information.