The Salvation Army - Southwest Division
Overnight Program Assistant
POSITION: Overnight Program Assistant
LOCATION: The Salvation Army – Family Services – Phoenix, AZ
STATUS: Full Time; 40 hours/week
The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian Church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
** Must have the availability to work overnight **
- HS Diploma or GED required
- College courses related to social services or social services experience preferred
- 6 months – 1 year of related experience and/or training preferred
- Good organizational, interpersonal, communication and computer/typing skills required
- Proficiency in MS Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Ability to write reports & to calculate basic figures and numbers
- Ability to handle crisis/emergency situations or services for the homeless situations and to utilize crisis intervention and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with clients and be able motivate program participants in achieving housing goals §
- Ability to exhibit professional and courteous communication at all times
- Able to work independently and show initiative
- Must possess, or be eligible to receive, a fingerprint clearance card
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred
- Must be able to work various shifts/ weekends/ holidays
- An interpersonal style that is service oriented as well as anticipates and responds to the needs of client departments with a willingness to learn.
- An excellent attention to detail, procedures, processes and policies.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Program Assistant will conduct periodic inspections of the facility and grounds through periodic rounds or CCTV monitoring to ensure security of facility as needed. PA will respond to intake queries; collect, record and analyze documentation and referral sources; will select candidates who are eligible and appropriate for admission; refer candidates to other programs as necessary; select candidates for waiting list if appropriate, supervise or perform all necessary admission procedures. PA must have the ability to maintain a non-judgmental attitude in working with clients. Program Assistant will coordinate and oversee clients living quarters and personal property to insure conformance to policy and procedure; conduct inspections, oversee cleanups, maintain adequate furnishings, writer Personal property Request Slips, checks inventories, etc. Maintains oversight of clients. PA provides oversight to the client reception function. Coordinates social services and arranges appropriate assistance for clients. Prepare and maintain monthly service reports. Sorts and distributes incoming mail. Will coordinate and oversee client’s involvement in outside activities such as support group meetings, church services, and appropriate special events. PA will provide assistance to the Lead Program Assistant , clinical staff, or vocational supervisor including oversight of client crews, specific operations or functions, or special projects. Program Assistant provides special administrative support to Shelter Client Services Manager and Lead Program Assistant that may include: client database management, interfacing with IT regarding computer or network issues, and other special administration projects. Perform other duties as assigned by the Shelter Client Services Manager and Lead Program Assistant as it relates to the position of Program Assistant.
Qualified individuals must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without accommodation. A qualified person with a disability may request a modification or adjustment to the job or work environment in order to meet the physical requirements of the position. The Salvation Army will attempt to satisfy requests as long as the accommodation needed is reasonable and no undue hardship would result.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, stand, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and reach with hands and arms on a continuous basis. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 20 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Must have the ability to operate telephone, a desktop or laptop computer, as well as the ability to access and produce information from a computer, and to understand written information.