Shawnee Mission School District
Overland Park, KS, United States
The special education paraprofessional assists the teacher with educational and non-educational activities. The paraprofessional assists in carrying out the program developed by the special education professional(s) and support personnel.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Direct small groups of individual students in teacher-planned instructional activities.
• Collect and record instructional and behavioral data as requested by the teacher.
• Assist with physical needs of students under direction of teacher.
• Assist the teacher in maintaining the classroom management program and handle routine discipline.
• Score and check papers.
• Operate audio-visual equipment.
• Prepare instructional materials as directed by the teacher.
• Prepare and copy materials.
• Record information for reports as directed by the teacher.
• Make charts, bulletin boards and other visual material.
• Complete worksheets and reports as directed by the teacher.
• Supervise students in place of the teacher during staffings or in emergency situations while the teacher is out of the classroom.
• Consider all classroom behavior and achievements confidential.
• Assist the teacher in supervision of field trips and school parties but not provide transportation.
• Other duties as assigned.
TRAINING, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
• On-the-job training sessions are required by the State Department of Education for continued employment.
• Good interpersonal relationships.
• Must be physically able to restrain students, when appropriate, in compliance with accepted district disciplinary procedures. Must be physically able to lift, or assist in lifting, non-ambulatory students.
• Must be able to proficiently operate classroom equipment including VCR, typewriter, computer, and copy machine.
• May be required to lift and move 20 to 30 pounds of classroom equipment.
• Health Insurance (minimum of 20 hours worked per week)
• On-Site Health Facility - accessible to those covered by a district health insurance plan
• Free Fitness Center - Team Members and Families
• Paid Holidays
• Retirement Plan
• Paid Sick Leave