Diocese of Tucson
Parish Senior Accountant
Posted over 1 month ago
Diocese of Tucson
Job Title: Parish Senior Accountant Exemption Status: Exempt
Department/Location: Diocese of Tucson Pastoral Center/Tucson, AZ
Primary Function: Under the direction of the Chief Financial Officer, the Parish Senior Accountant is responsible for compiling financial statements for assigned parishes, including reconciling bank and investment accounts, making journal entries, maintaining general ledger and preparing month-end close procedures. A successful Parish Senior Accountant combines excellent analytical skills with a thorough knowledge of accounting principles to analyze financial reports. On occasion documents assessment of parish financial internal controls. Flexible schedule possible.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the Churchs spiritual and pastoral mission
- Shall abide by Catholic principles in the employees professional and private life, and shall govern his/her professional and private life in strict accordance with Catholic morals and principles to demonstrate complete adherence to Catholic moral strictures;
- Reconciles monthly bank accounts.
- Performs month-end and year-end close process.
- Compiles monthly financial statements of assigned parishes.
- Analyzes business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls.
- Performs financial and operational reviews of parish entities as needed. Assist with investigations when irregularities are reported or suspected.
- Perform other tasks as directed by Chief Financial Officer.
Physical/Mental Requirements: Requires coordination and manual dexterity, normal mental and visual ability; ability to lift as required in a normal office environment.
Required Activities: Walking; sitting; standing; stooping; reaching; talking; handling; hearing; carrying; and keyboarding.
- Must be a practicing Roman Catholic in full communion with the Church.
- Working knowledge of the Catholic Church including familiarity with its structures.
- Strong mathematical and analytical skills.
- Highly proficient with spreadsheet software.
- Hands-on experience with accounting software.
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Excellent human relations and interpersonal skills.
- Self-starter, well-organized and a team player.
- Able to travel on occasion.
- Able to maintain confidentiality.
- Able to successfully complete a criminal history and background check.
- Professional bearing and clean and neat personal appearance.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, or related field.
- 2+ years of progressively responsible financial experience.
- Proficiency in Spanish is preferred.
Covenants of Employment:
Diocese of Tucson is a Roman Catholic religious organization and that all employees are expected to respect and conduct themselves in accordance with the values, teachings and morals of the Roman Catholic Church and by Arizona state law. Under the "Zero Tolerance Policy", no one will be knowingly assigned or retained to serve in the Parish/Church/School when that person is determined to have engaged in the abuse of a minor or to have violated boundaries in dealing with minors.