Posted over 1 month ago
- Main Campus
- It’s a great time to join Marymount University! We are looking for faculty and staff who are passionate about providing excellent service to ensure a high-quality student experience and collaborative working environment.
- JOB SUMMARY
- As a valued member of the Business Office, The Payroll Manager oversees, executes, and manages the payroll function for all employees of the institution, ensuring pay is processed timely, accurately, and in compliance with applicable federal and state regulations, as well as institutional policies. Acts as the primary point of contact for payroll troubleshooting and escalations, exhibiting excellent communication skills and customer service to stakeholders at all levels of the institution. Fosters and executes continuous payroll process improvement, leveraging industry best practices, enabled by Workday and other compatible technology.
- Direct Supervisor
- Associate Vice President and Chief Financial Officer
- Full-Time, Exempt
- Financial Affairs
- Direct Reports
- Target Weekly Hours
- 2807 N Glebe (Main Campus)
- Benefits Eligibility
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversees, executes, and manages payroll cycle activities to ensure payment, and related withholding and deductions; and transmission of files and data to banking, benefits, and government entities are processed accurately and timely, and in accordance with GAAP as well as the applicable federal, state, and local regulations and institutional policies
- Acts as the primary point of contact for payroll-related inquiries and errors, including engaging internal and external parties as applicable, providing appropriate research, and communicating outcomes timely and effectively to stakeholders and in a manner consistent with excellent customer service.
- Acts as a primary functional analyst for Workday Payroll to include management and execution of appropriate testing of updates and fixes; ensuring the resolution of ad-hoc errors and issues, in partnership with IT as appropriate; and engaging in cross-functional requirements gathering with internal and external entities as needed.
- Define and implement industry-standard best practices processes and strong financial controls to foster continuous improvement, and to improve workflow, ensure accurate and timely payroll processing and accuracy of general ledger postings and reconciliations
- Partners with internal stakeholder/clients and across HR to review cross-departmental impacts and reconcile data sharing
- Owns relations with 3rd party vendors supporting the payroll function, driving for consistency and quality in service delivery
- Ensures payroll guidelines/policies/procedures are documented, maintained, and updated
- Acts as the primary point of contact for external auditors and also audits employee tax documents, payroll balance sheets, YTD earnings, etc. as needed.
- Other duties as assigned and modified at the leader's discretion.
OTHER DUTIES AND ASSIGNMENTS
- Verifies a variety of payroll-related data to ensure accurate processing and distribution of funds and payroll; including but not limited to review of prepared timesheets, pay changes, and detailed registers (such as taxes, deductions, and rates).
- Processes bi-weekly payroll to include FMLA payroll adjustments, transmits ACH (Direct Deposit) and Positive Pay files, calculates, prepares, and transmits federal and state tax deposits,s and calculates, prepares, and transmits retirement files to TIAA-CREF.
- Performs quarterly/year-end functions and processes forms for current and previous employees to include, preparation and entry of taxable adjustments (Auto, group term life, etc.); prepares W-2 Tax Statements, reconciles to the general ledger and makes appropriate adjustments; updates entries to tax tables, and administers quarter and annual closings to the payroll system.
- Performs a variety of payroll adjustments and reconciliations to include processing vacation/sick adjustments, preparation of journal entries, processing leave accruals, and entitlement changes, and entry of reconciliations to general ledger accounts pertaining to Payroll.
- Monitors and runs update process for Campus Employment/Federal Work-Study limits; distributes payroll audit information and communicates with audit team; keeps current on all laws related to payroll.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree (BA, BS, etc.) in Accounting or Finance or related area. .
- At least 5 years of payroll experience, with proven track record of independently processing payroll without supervision. At least 1-2 years of demonstrated work experience of independently processing payroll in Workday (minimum of 20 payrolls).
- Licenses or Certifications
- CPA preferred but not required
- Financial Responsibility
- Reviews and/or approves financial transactions at the function or department level. May require some interpretation of policies.
- Departmental management
- Special Knowledge
- Preferred Experience: Managing payroll and/or accounting department. Advanced Excel skills. Workday experience a must!
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize assignments in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment. Ability to analyze and interpret financial reports, legal documents, or professional publications. Detail-oriented and accurate with sound critical analysis and decision-making skills. Ability to prepare technical and analytical reports and executive summaries. Strong project management skills to establish work plans, set deadlines, manage conflicting priorities and ambiguous situations, and lead teams to successful project completion. Excellent interpersonal communication skills, including strong negotiation, group facilitation, and consensus-building skills to collaborate with and influence others, navigate complex agency frameworks and work effectively with diverse internal and external constituencies of various organizational levels. Strong work ethic, professionalism, and discretion; ability to prioritize, manage and fulfill multiple responsibilities in a time-sensitive manner.
- SPECIAL WORKING CONDITIONS