Chicanos Por La Causa, Inc.
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Payroll Specialist performs tasks to establish and maintain employee/payroll records. Duties include checking and auditing timekeeping records for compliance with established standards, maintaining time and attendance records, completing new hire information into the payroll system, posting changes in pay and tax status. Explain and interpret complex payroll information to employees at all levels of the organization through direct contact. Responsible for balancing, calculating and preparing general ledger entries. Ensure payroll requests and processes comply with company policies. Use of analytical skills to identify and address potential issues. May train less experienced payroll practitioners. Assist Payroll Manager with various departmental and company projects.
High school diploma or GED plus two years payroll processing experience. Good communication skills. Ability to maintain a good working relationship with all co-workers and the general public and to use good judgment in recognizing scope of authority. Ability to recognize and solve problems without direct supervision. Excellent verbal, written, reading and presentation skills. Excellent analytical and problem solving skills. Experience with Multi-state payrolls. Data entry experience is required; plus working knowledge word and data processing software Microsoft Office and knowledge of Payroll software a plus but not required.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES AND COMPETENCIES
- Processes payroll information and works at resolving any problems relative to payroll
- Responsible for validating payroll data and making corrections/adjustments as needed
- Provide excellent customer service while adhering to confidentiality limitations
- Assist in preparing payroll reports for CPLC and its subsidiaries used for inter-company billing
- Responsible for processing Tax Employee Forms (W-4/A4 and fringe benefit forms)
- Responsible for preparing, sorting & batching of any payroll mailings
- Prepare off-cycle payrolls and request electronic payments as needed
- Enroll new hires in Fidelity PSW for retirement plan participation
- Responsible for maintaining and organizing payroll records/files including W2 information
- Process garnishments and levies
- Timely A/P recording of all benefit invoices
- Responsible for recording month end adjustments related to taxes, workers comp, etc.
- Assist in Audits as needed
- Filing payroll documents and prepare for end of year storage
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Must be highly organized, able to work under pressure, meet deadlines and handle multiple tasks and prioritize. The employee is frequently required to sit for long periods of time. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision. Occasionally be required to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, bend at waist or crouch. May be required to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Ability to communicate clearly and effectively both verbally and in writing.
Employee will be expected to participate in continuous learning, competency building and maintenance of competency skills.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS
Work is performed in structured environments.
Reports to and is supervised directly by the Payroll Manager. Employee is also accountable for understanding and complying with CPLC policies and procedures.