The Wyss Foundation
Program Associate - Economic Security
The Wyss Foundation is a private, charitable foundation dedicated to supporting innovative, lasting solutions that improve lives, empower communities, and strengthen connections to the land. The Wyss Foundation’s philanthropy supports national and state work that promotes conservation, democracy, economic security for working families, and women’s equality.
The Economic Security Program focuses on policy solutions and issue campaigns to alleviate hardship and build opportunity for low-income people in the United States.
The Program Associate will primarily provide support to the Economic Security Program’s grantmaking team but will provide periodic support as needed to the Democracy Program’s grantmaking team. S/he will report to senior program staff, but will work collaboratively with all Foundation employees. The day-to-day work will be carried out under supervision, and may involve limited travel.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform independent research on policy issues, government programs, social and economic data, and other topics relevant to the Economic Security and Democracy programs;
- Track policy developments at the state and federal level;
- Participate in the development of strategies to advance the Program’s goals; interact with current and potential grantees, including grassroots, research, litigation, communications and advocacy organizations; and monitor the progress and effectiveness of funded campaigns;
- Compile data and summary charts and spreadsheets;
- Draft research reports, summary memos, strategy papers and other written products as needed;
- Participate in meetings with subject matter experts.
- Assist with the preparation and review of financials, budgets, and work plans, and monitor spending;
- Review grant proposals and grant reports as requested to ensure documentation is complete;
- Draft/edit routine correspondence and memoranda, correspond in a professional manner with applicants and grantees, ensure grant documentation, supporting documentation and docket memoranda are timely and in proper order;
- Conduct evaluations of current and potential grantees;
- Attend and help organize meetings of grantees as needed.
- Coordinate with grants management team as directed, including to input data into grants tracking software system, produce reports, process and track contracts and grant payment requests for program initiatives, and follow up with grantees on overdue reports;
- Provide assistance in office administrative tasks including the logistical aspects of Board meetings, Foundation events and workshops; preparation of Board Books and materials; organizing phone or video links; planning conference events; updating Foundation website;
- Maintain and update working files and databases as necessary.
Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university;
- 3 – 5 years relevant employment experience;
- Background in policy research/analysis, campaigns, communications and/or policy advocacy;
- Experience/demonstrated interest in one of the following domestic policy areas: health care, tax and budget policy, job quality and/or financial systems reform. Demonstrated interest in democracy issues also preferred;
- NGO or foundation experience/demonstrated interest preferred.
- Ability to write quickly, cogently and with perfect grammar;
- An analytical mind and an ability to read and digest information quickly;
- Superior listening and communication skills;
- Strong computer skills, proficiency in Microsoft Office and ability to learn new software quickly;
- Willingness to accept changes in priorities and meet deadlines;
- Discretion, sound judgement, and an ability to handle confidential issues;
- High level of self-motivation and ability to work independently;
- Appropriate attention to detail;
- Flexibility and willingness to work simultaneously on a wide range of tasks and projects and ability to prioritize tasks;
- Ability to work as part of a team;
- Pleasant attitude and a service-oriented approach.
This position will also be responsible for other duties as required to support Foundation goals. It is anticipated that over time the general and specific responsibilities are likely to change as the Foundation’s activities and resources change.
Compensation is commensurate with experience and includes a generous benefits package.
To apply for this position, please send a resume and cover letter with the subject line “LAST NAME – Program Associate – Economic Security” to the Human Resources Department at HR@wyssfoundation.org
The Wyss Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.