The Salvation Army - Southwest Division
LOCATION: Herberger Center – Phoenix Family Services
STATUS: FT 40 hrs/wk – Flex Schedule
POSITION DESCRIPTION: The Mike Michaels Activity Center serves The Salvation Army Phoenix Family Services Emergency Shelter residents. The center was designed to restore normalcy to families by providing opportunities for them to learn and heal through play. It provides a variety of activities to promote healthy lifestyles, healthy family interactions, learning opportunities and safe play. The Recreation Coordinator will oversee the center and the activity staff as well as do recreation therapy and recreation-focused case management with shelter residents and their children. The activity center is currently open Tuesday-Saturday and focuses programs on times when children are not in school.
- Bachelor’s in Recreation, Music Therapy, Psychology or Social Work
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred
- Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests.
- Customer and Personal Service -- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing case managed services. This includes individual/family needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of individual/family satisfaction.
- Education and Training -- Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Experience managing staff in recreational or social services environment.
- Demonstrate the ability to relate positively and energetically with staff, clientele, and others including the general public.
- Combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions (includes finding a relationship among seemingly unrelated events).
- Ability to create unusual or clever ideas about a given topic or situation, or to develop creative ways to solve a problem.
- Computer literate in MS Office products.
- Must maintain First Aid/CPR certification
- Must successfully pass a criminal background check
- Must have a valid Arizona DL with a clean driving record. & pass The Salvation Army Fleet Safety elearning
- Must have a flexible work schedule to meet the needs of the Activity Center hours (including evenings and weekends).
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Qualified individuals must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without accommodation. A qualified person with a disability may request a modification or adjustment to the job or work environment in order to meet the physical requirements of the position. The Salvation Army will attempt to satisfy requests as long as the accommodation needed is reasonable and no undue hardship would result. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, stand, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and reach with hands and arms on a continuous basis.
The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 20 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Must have the ability to operate telephone, a desktop or laptop computer, as well as the ability to access and produce information from a computer, and to understand written information.
MISSION STATEMENT: The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian Church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.