Gunnison Valley Health
Registered Nurse, PACU (PRN)
Work Hours: PRN
A clinically competent Registered Nurse (RN) who is a professional member of the surgical team within the organizational structure of the Surgical Services Department. All PACU RN's are expected to maintain proficiency in planning, organizing, directing, executing and evaluating all aspects of patient care during the pre-operative and post-operative phases of surgical experience with additional proficiency expectations in the RN Operating Room role dependent upon areas of expertise, years of experience, and staffing needs. The RN is responsible for monitoring physiological patient responses in all phases of pre and post-operative care. Professional nursing staff is expected to attain knowledge and competency that reflects current nursing practice following professional practice standards and guidelines, relevant statutes, rules and regulations. All RN's are expected to complete training, education, and orientation to new procedures and processes within the department and throughout the organization. Nurses consider factors related to safety, effectiveness, cost and impact on practice in the planning and delivery of nursing services at Gunnison Valley Hospital.
Education: Graduation from an accredited school of nursing
Experience: Minimum of two years experience in PACU or other critical care nursing preferred.
Licenses: RN licensed in the State of Colorado, or compact license.
Certifications: Requires current BLS certification, ACLS within the first year and maintained thereafter. Applicant may complete PALS after hire at the discretion of the Director of Surgical Services. CAPA is preferred.
- Quality completes work with accuracy and thoroughness.
- Productivity efficiently utilizes time in accomplishing work.
- Reliability completes tasks assigned; follow up as needed.
- Availability meets attendance standards; is punctual; works when needed.
- Decision Making displays sound judgment; works with minimal supervision
- Initiative seeks out productive duties in absence of guidance; is a self starter.
- Demonstrates professional communication skills with co-workers, physicians, other staff members, patients and patients' families. Communicates, consults, and interacts with team members to share pertinent information in a clear, concise and tactful manner.
- Collaborates with all members of the health care team to plan, implement, and evaluate patients status and treatment plan. Uses approved SBAR format for all caregiver to caregiver patient handoffs.
- Cross trains and floats to other areas of the Surgical Services Department as required (Must demonstrate proficiency and have completed competency check off for each area scheduled. Example: RN Operating Room, Surgical Technologist, Central Sterile, etc.)
- Maintains patient confidentiality and privacy; respects patients individual rights.
- Provides age specific nursing care to all age populations.
- Provides culturally specific care to diverse cultural populations.
- Adheres to policy follows all Surgical Services, PACU and facility wide policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Provides patient safety in the pre-operative and post-operative phases of care at all times.
- Verifies patient identity and operative procedure according to policy.
- Anticipates and provides cost effective equipment/supplies based on patient needs; assures equipment and supplies are functional prior to use; operates equipment according to manufacturers instructions; verifies availability of supplies and equipment prior to patient care.
- Demonstrates proficiency in computer charting.
- Properly completes the initial interview,medication reconciliation, anesthesia protocols, patient education as required by policy.
- Properly completes the "Day of Surgery Checklist" and delivers care according to the policy Preoperative Care of the Surgical Patient.
- Performs vital signs, interprets, and documents accurately in CPSI.
- Properly applies and maintains monitoring equipment
- Documents and performs vital signs and assessments as per Care of the Patient in Phase I& II PACU.
- Knowledgeable in airway management including delivery of O2, suctioning, and proper use of adjuncts.
- Knowledgeable of anesthetic agents, techniques, actions, interactions, intraoperative medications and reversal agents.
- Demonstrates proficiency in essential nursing skills including but not limited to blood administration, monitoring vital signs, wound care, IV insertion, Foley management, telemetry monitoring, management of invasive lines, NG insertion, medication administration, and effective documentation.
- Verbal orders are repeated and verified according to policy
- Assesses pain upon admission and throughout PACU stay according to policy.
- Use of assessment and reassessment of patients response to medications.
- Demonstrates awareness of appropriate medication use and follows all policies concerning medication administration.
- Demonstrates accountability in managing and administering narcotics and promptly reports any discrepancy or mismanagement of controlled substances.
- Notes any sensory impairment (hearing, visual, tactile, etc.)
- Notes nutritional status of patient, NPO status; actual body weight.
- Verifies and documents an allergy in an appropriate manner.
- Documents unusual/abnormal findings on nursing documentation; notifies physician and CRNA as indicated
- Reports deviations in diagnostic studies such as lab values, radiology, and EKG reports.
- Timely and accurately reports significant changes in patient condition to CRNA and or surgeon
- Recognizes, understands, and performs emergency procedures, such as BLS, ACLS, IVs, and the administration of emergency medications.
- Assesses patient discharge readiness according to policy.
- Properly prepares discharge instructions and educates caregiver and staff
- Completes discharge instructions by caregiver signature.
- Assures escort to car by wheelchair with PACU personnel.
- Reports broken or malfunctioning equipment to the appropriate personnel and completes the appropriate paperwork/documentation as needed.
- Completes all appropriate PACU charges at the end of each shift.
- Assists with orientation and training of new personnel
- Attends a minimum of 75% of all departmental staff meetings and 100% of any mandatory meetings/trainings.
- Adheres to policy Attire in the Operating Room and wears name badge.
- Asks questions, seeks out sources of information, demonstrates motivation in continuing education and strengthening his or her own nursing skills.
- Demonstrates ability to perform effectively in stressful situations.
- Participates in the completion of the daily check list at the end of each shift.
- Completes competency check offs by assigned deadlines.
- Completes monthly cleaning assignments by deadlines.
- Able to perform independently on call.
- Completes patient care activities during the assigned shift; effectively organizes work schedule and personal time; willingly assists other staff; as needed, works extra time necessary to meet patient needs; demonstrates ability to adjust to department census/acuity level. Willingly accepts new, temporary, and special assignments.
- Demonstrates awareness of personal accountability and compliance with Joint Commission and performance improvement standards.
- Participates in process improvement and consistently offers solution based input into improving nursing practice.
- Promptly reports all variances in care and safety issues in Risk Web.
- Demonstrates leadership skills as evidenced by team management, effective communication and delegation.
- Effectively communicates any concerns to supervisor and uses chain of command to address issues.
- Attends departmental staff meetings, and 100% of any mandatory meetings/trainings. If unable to attend a departmental staff meeting the minutes must be reviewed and initialed during the next available shift.
- Participates in drills and emergency response training
- May be called in for GVH disaster response.
- Other duties as assigned.
Compensation: $29.65/hr - $37.56/hr, depending on experience.
PRN staff are not initially eligible for benefits, and GVH follows all Affordable Care Act Eligibility guidelines.