Metroland is a progressive media organization with a long and distinguished history. Its businesses include more than 70 weekly community newspapers in Ontario, including the Richmond Hill Liberal. Metrolands parent company, Torstar Corporation, also publishes a number of regional daily newspapers.
In addition, Metroland offers flyer distribution services, omnichannel marketing solutions and parcel delivery. Our company is energized by a deep customer-centric obsession, continued journalistic excellence, advanced data-driven competency and a culture that is selfless, focused, agile and collaborative.
The Richmond Hill Liberal is looking for an energetic and keen reporter who is skilled in storytelling for both digital and print platforms.
- Coordinate with the Managing Editor to generate fresh and interesting local news and feature stories.
- Be able to adapt to an environment where news and information is updated frequently, and the work atmosphere demands urgency.
- Produce high-quality, trustworthy journalism using excellent reporting and researching skills, including data analysis.
- Understand the value of information, large and small, and the connection between what is being reported on and the Richmond Hill Liberal's readers.
- Produce engaging content for all platforms - print, website and social media.
- Diploma or degree in journalism or in a related field.
- A motivated self-starter who is an innovative, driven journalist with the ability to write clean copy, take photos and shoot video.
- Proven news judgment and a strong work ethic.
- Competent in social media outlets (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) and possess online posting skills.
- Effective organizational skills, ability to manage time and prioritize tasks appropriately.
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, deadline-driven and demanding environment.
- Team-oriented individual who can build professional relationships with team members.
- Well-versed in Canadian Libel Law and Canadian Press Style.
- Must be prepared to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends
- Must have access to a reliable vehicle and valid driver's licence.
Torstar Group of Companies is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Ontario Human Rights Code we will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling your interview of your requirements.