St. Joseph Medical Center
Assist the Cardiologist with diagnostic and interventional procedures utilizing skills of sterile technique and monitoring of physiological parameters. Provides 24-hour coverage for emergency procedures as dictated by the on-call schedule. Demonstrates a working knowledge of all equipment used during procedures and documents all pertinent patient data accordingly. Demonstrates friendliness, helpfulness, and concern with patients and visitors. Provides service to physicians in a helpful and timely manner. Maintains a cooperative relationship with co-workers and other hospital employees according to the values of St. Joseph Medical Center.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Consistently supports and communicates the Mission, Vision and Values of St. Joseph Medical Center.
2. Follows the St. Joseph Medical Center Guidelines related to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), designed to prevent or detect unauthorized disclosure of Protected Health Information (PHI).
3. Promotes a culture of safety for patients and employees through proper identification, proper reporting, documentation and prevention of medical errors in a non-punitive environment.
4. Prepares surgical trays for use during procedures, utilizing sterile technique. Demonstrates knowledge of supplies needed for individual Cardiologists and specific procedures performed.
5. Performs surgical scrub and assists Cardiologist during the procedure by acting as his surgical scrub technician, utilizing her knowledge of diagnostic and interventional procedures to be performed.
6. Responsible for the monitoring and maintenance of physiologic parameters and patient safety. Demonstrates a thorough knowledge of arrhythmias and patterns of infarction and ischemia with prompt reporting of these changes to the Cardiologist. Has an understanding of intracardiac pressures and the equipment that records and reports these findings.
7. Provides 24-hour coverage for emergency procedures as indicated. Carries a beeper according to a weekly schedule, and responds to emergency calls in a timely fashion. Able to perform any nursing function required during an emergency procedure as outlined in the Cath Lab procedure manual.
8. Prepares patient for procedure by starting I.V., placing electrodes, palpating appropriate pulses, administering medications as ordered by the physician, and providing physical and emotional support through teaching skills.
9. Documents all pertinent patient data and communicates with nursing personnel from various floors to report changes in patients condition and procedures performed.
10. Has a thorough knowledge of all accessory equipment utilized during procedures to include the following: Blood oximeter, medrad injector, cardiac output monitor, defibrillator, mobilizer, c-clamp and hemochron.
11. Supportive of the compliance program set forth by IASIS and demonstrated by:
- Upholds the Standards of Conduct and Corporate Compliance program.
- Adheres to and helps to enforce all compliance policies relevant to his/her area.
- Assures timely compliance education as requested by the Regional Compliance & Safety Officer and/or through corporate initiatives.
12. Sets an example to all staff in their daily activities.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
Three to five years medical/surgical nursing to include two to three years of critical care nursing (CCU preferred).
Current RN License issued by Texas State Board of Nurses.
Current American Heart Basic Life Support certification is required.
Current American Heart Advanced Cardiac Life Support certification is required.
Education & Training:
B.S., Diploma or Associate Degree in Nursing.
Cardiovascular nursing experience with knowledge of cardiovascular anatomy and physiology, cardiac arrhythmia interpretation and diagnostic EKG changes.
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.