The Mission of MIM: The Musical Instrument Museum (MIM) enriches our world by collecting, preserving, and making accessible an astonishing variety of musical instruments and performance videos from every country in the world. MIM offers guests a welcoming and fun experience, incomparable interactive technology, dynamic programming, and exceptional musical performances. MIM fosters appreciation of the world’s diverse cultures by showing how we innovate, adapt, and learn from each other to create music—the language of the soul.
The Mission of the Museum Store: The Museum Store enhances the guest experience and promotes the museum’s mission by offering merchandise that educates, inspires, and entertains. Purchases support MIM and its programs.
Summary: Understand the mission statements of both MIM and retail operations to enhance the museum experience for each guest while helping generate revenue for the Museum. Hours are part-time (18 hours per week). Must have open and flexible availability including weekends, holidays, and some evenings, and for special events. This position pays $15.00 per hour.
- Provide excellent customer service to all MIM guests.
- Process sales transactions accurately using CPSQL.
- Perform store opening and closing functions.
- Assist with restocking, cleaning, and merchandising in the store and retail storage areas.
- Assist with cycle counts and inventory.
- Assist with other projects as required.
- Must follow department dress code.
- Must follow department and museum health and safety protocols.
- High school or equivalent degree and at least 2 years of retail experience in a museum, book, or music store is desirable. Knowledge of music and musical instruments preferred.
- Inventory, shipping, and receiving experience preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively with visitors, team members, and volunteer team members.
- Proven ability to demonstrate exceptional guest-focused engagement on and off the sales floor.
- Ability to balance a cash register.
- Ability to solve practical problems and interpret written and verbal instructions.
- Ability to stand during shift and lift and move up to 40 lbs.
- Supervisory responsibilities: None
Additional Information: Position pays $15 per hour.