McLean, VA, United States
Senior Manager / Payroll Director
Lead the payroll function of a 4,000+ employee organization. The ideal candidate will excel in managing and developing a team with an emphasis on providing superior customer service. They will have previous process improvement experience with a demonstrated willingness to ‘roll up their sleeves’ to get the job done. This is an excellent opportunity for a payroll professional to make an impact. The position reports to the SVP of Total Rewards and will lead a team of 6.
- Manage and guarantee accurate weekly and biweekly disbursement of multi-state payroll, including garnishments, benefits and taxes consistent with federal and state wage & hour laws for union and non-union employees.
- Ensure the processing of new hires, transfers, promotions and terminations is accurate and timely.
- Time and Attendance processing and system maintenance.
- Lead and mentor the payroll staff; set goals and evaluate performance for team members.
- Perform journal entries, reconciliations, and General Ledger support; audit payroll balance sheets and YTD earning.
- Develop and implement payroll policies and procedures to ensure compliance with regulations relating to payroll operations and control.
- Continuous improvement of payroll processes and strategies to align with overall business objectives, drive process excellence, and eliminate errors. Work cross-functionally with supervisors, managers, and other stakeholders.
- Resolve escalations, by providing root cause analysis and corrective action for complex and non-routine situations for all levels of employees and management.
- Manage relocation program financial reporting, including tax.
- Manage regular preparation of relevant reports, including weekly, monthly, quarterly and year-end reports as well as periodic reports of earnings, taxes, and deductions.
- Manage relationships with internal and external auditors, state and federal agencies, and unions.
- Protect and maintain confidential information.
- Ad hoc reports and projects as assigned.
- Bachelors degree in Accounting or Finance preferred, or an equivalent level of knowledge in a relevant field
- Ten years+ previous experience with payroll
- Multi-state tax expertise
- Extensive experience with SAP payroll system
- Relocation tax and reporting experience
- Demonstrated experience managing, coaching, and evaluating staff
- Exceptional attention to detail and demonstrated commitment to maintaining data accuracy and timeliness in processing and delivery
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and Word
- Ability to manage multiple projects with overlapping deadlines and utilize resources appropriately
- Desire to provide outstanding and ‘above and beyond’ customer service
- Willingness to be a "working" manager to get the job done
- High energy and a strong work ethic
- AEC industry background
- Experience in Government contracting (Davis Bacon, Service Contract, etc.)
- Workday payroll background
- Union payroll management and reporting
- Experience implementing new a payroll system/conversion